Dynatrace allows you to define custom properties as well as property packs.
Below you can find the steps for defining such properties as well as related examples. To acquire a deeper understanding of how to use session properties, visit Leverage user session properties.
User action properties for web can be used to create calculated web application metrics. You can see them in the multi-dimensional analysis view. Choose the Key Performance metric of your choice, and create a metric.
Use property packs (web only) to link analytics data to performance insights. You can do this by integrating tools, such as web analytics and performance monitoring, into Dynatrace. Choose from the following property packs:
- Adobe Analytics
- Web properties
Note: A maximum of 200 properties can be defined per application, with a maximum of 20 action properties.
To add a property pack
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Web.
- Select the application that you want to configure.
- Select Browse (…) in the upper-left corner, and choose Edit.
- Under Application settings, select Session and user action properties.
- Select Add property > Property packs.
- From the list box, select the property pack.
- Under Configure properties, select the corresponding Add or Remove button.
- Select Next, select at least one storage type (user action property or session property), and then select Create property.
- To check your property usage quota, select Session and user action properties under Application settings.
Note: Currently, up to 20 properties per application can be used free of charge. Additional properties can be licensed with DEM units.
Use custom defined properties to define string, numeric, and date properties for your monitored user actions and user sessions. Property values are then captured as part of each of your users’ journeys. Property values can be leveraged for unrivaled visibility into all the details of your users’ interactions with your application.
name attribute), or Cookie value for the capture type and define whether the data you want to capture is of data type
To define a custom property
In the Dynatrace menu, go to Web.
Select the application that you want to configure.
Select Browse (…) > Edit.
Under Application settings, select Capturing > Session and user action properties.
Select Add property > Custom defined property.
Select the Expression type, Data type, and the applicable String length.
For all expression types, you must specify a Key, which is essentially the name of the property. The Key value is also used to identify and later locate the property in USQL. Allowed characters for Key values are
Note: A Key that has been used in the past can't be reused as long as the data is retained in your environment. This is because the captured data still references the old session property configuration.
optional Define a Display name for the property to be used in the UI.
Select the application storage type (user session and user property).
In case you want to restrict the captured values, you can define a clean-up rule for the property by enabling Apply cleanup rule and specifying a regular expression. The regex will be applied to the captured value, which means that if you try to capture a string that is, for example, 1,000 characters long, only the first 100 characters will be captured and the regex will be applied to these 100 characters.
Select Save property.
Here are some sample definitions that work for our easyTravel Customer Frontend sample application.
In this example, the property
member_statuscaptures loyalty program membership status.
The numeric property
averagepersonpricecaptures the average price per person of a journey booked using easyTravel.
authorcaptures the name of the developer of the easyTravel application from a metadata tag.
appversionduring the session.
Here, we use
Price, a user action property, to filter out prices paid by platinum customers and create a calculated web application metric:
revenue by platinum customers.
The generic Web property pack is used in the following example to track the marketing campaigns on Dynatrace.com to view:
- the overall traffic by continent
- top campaigns by continent
- the slowest landing experience by marketing campaign
- You can integrate Adobe Analytics with Dynatrace to facilitate collaboration among the different teams in your business. To find out how you can do this, visit Tightening the communication within BizDevOps with Adobe Analytics & Dynatrace and Actionable insights with our Adobe Analytics integration and new web properties
- Property capture begins only after enablement of specific property capture rules.
- String properties are limited to 1000 characters before applying the clean-up rule.
- Properties consume DEM units. For more information, see Monitoring consumption.
- A maximum of 200 properties can be defined per application.
- A maximum of 20 action properties can be defined per application.