Real User Monitoring (RUM) is one of the two fundamental constituents of Digital Experience Monitoring (DEM), the other one being Synthetic monitoring. DEM is defined by Gartner as an availability and performance monitoring discipline that supports the optimization of the operational experience and behavior of a digital agent, human or machine, as it interacts with enterprise applications and services.
Dynatrace RUM gives you the power to know your customers by providing performance analysis in real time. This includes all user actions taken and how the various actions impact performance. You can also easily identify problems or errors that occurred as well as user experience ratings, geolocation breakdowns and much more. You can also gain insight into the behavior of your users. This among others includes the number of customers who return to your site. With Dynatrace RUM, you have the context over time and immediate analysis to the complete picture of your end user experience.
The basic concepts of RUM revolve around user sessions and user actions. A user session is essentially a "user visit" performed in your application. Dynatrace captures user sessions of web applications, mobile apps and custom applications. For web applications, a user session can span multiple applications.
A user session of a web application includes at least one user action. In this case, a user action is an interaction with the web browser that involves one or more calls to a web server, i.e. one or more web requests.
Dynatrace can trace the activity of a single user along different devices. This means that if a user starts using your application on a mobile phone and then at a later point in time continues through a desktop browser, Dynatrace can associate all these user sessions with this specific user.
Setup and configuration
- Configure Real User Monitoring according to GDPR
- Map internal IP addresses to locations
- Customize IP address detection
- Configure 3rd-party and CDN content detection
- Enable Session Replay
- Configure Session Replay for personal data protection
- Configure beacon domain whitelist
- Define user action and session properties
- Exclude browsers, robots, and spiders from monitoring
- Configure your caching servers
- Configure XHR for older versions of IE
- Export user session data
- Customize Real User Monitoring
How to use Real User Monitoring
- Introduction to application overview page
- Performance analysis
- User behavior analysis
- Multidimensional analysis
- Waterfall analysis
- World map view
- Analyze individual user actions
- Work with key performance metrics
- Define conversion goals
- How to use "Visually complete" and "Speed index" metrics
- Visually complete top findings
- Leverage user session properties
- Application analysis with Hyperlyzer
- Service flows for applications and user actions