There are many ways your business can interact with your customers in the digital world. Monitoring user experience and behavior in your web and mobile applications is a great way to get started with digital experience monitoring; Dynatrace easily detects and automatically monitors all application touchpoints using OneAgent. However, your business likely has many other digital touchpoints outside of your applications where your customers interact with your brand that are also key to the success of your business. With Dynatrace OpenKit, you get a set of open source libraries that enable you to instrument all other digital touchpoints in your environment, whether or not they’re traditional rich client applications, smart IoT applications, or even Alexa skills.
Dynatrace OpenKit is a set of open source libraries that provides an easy, lightweight means of instrumenting the source code of your custom applications so that you can monitor their performance with Dynatrace or AppMon. Dynatrace OpenKit is best suited for client/server applications that communicate via HTTP (for example, rich-client-applications, embedded devices, and terminals).
The main advantages of OpenKit are:
- Ease of use
- No 3rd-party or OneAgent library dependencies
- Ease of portability to other languages and platforms
With Dynatrace OpenKit, you can:
- Track user sessions and user actions
- Report on events, errors, and crashes
- Trace web requests to server-side PurePaths
- Tag user sessions with user tags
- Maintain compatability with both Dynatrace and AppMon
With Dynatrace OpenKit, you can't:
- Create server-side PurePaths: This functionality is provided by the Dynatrace OneAgent SDK.
- Create metrics: You can however use the Custom network devices & metrics API to report metrics.