Configure cost and traffic control for web applications
By default, Dynatrace captures all user actions and user sessions for analysis. This approach ensures complete insight into your application's performance and customer experience. With the Cost and traffic control setting, you can reduce the granularity of user action and user session analysis by instructing Dynatrace to capture a lower percentage of user sessions.
While this setting can reduce monitoring costs, it also results in lower visibility into how your customers are using your web applications. For example, a setting of
10% results in Dynatrace analyzing only every tenth user session.
To limit the number of user sessions to be analyzed
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Web.
- Select the application that you want to configure.
- In the upper-right corner of the application overview page, select More (…) > Edit.
- From the application settings, select General settings > Enablement and cost control.
- Under Real User Monitoring, enter a value of less than
100in the Cost and traffic control field. The default value of this field is
With this setting defined, Dynatrace analyzes an evenly distributed number of user sessions that equates to the percentage of user sessions that you've specified.