Dynatrace Configuration as Code
Dynatrace Configuration as Code provides Observability as Code and Security as Code to fully automate configuration of the Dynatrace platform at any scale, from automating the standard configuration of all your Dynatrace environments to meeting specific demands for individual environments.
Why Configuration as Code?
A Configuration as Code self-service model enables development teams to set up monitoring, observability, and security policies quickly and efficiently, even for large-scale applications. It eliminates the need for building custom solutions and reduces the manual work for observability teams.
The Dynatrace Configuration as Code approach enables you to manage your Dynatrace environment observability tasks through configuration files instead of a graphical user interface.
Configuration files allow you to create, update, and manage your observability configurations safely, consistently, and repetitively. They can be reused, versioned, and shared within your team.
How it works
Developers define a configuration file and check it into version control alongside the application’s source code. The code is built and deployed with the next commit or pull request, automatically creating an observability configuration such as dashboards, synthetic monitors, and alerting.
Configuration as Code can do the following:
- Create configuration templates that can be reused in multiple environments.
- Manage interdependencies between configurations without the need to retain unique identifiers.
- Apply the same configuration to hundreds of Dynatrace environments and be able to update all of them at the same time.
- Promote application-specific configurations across environments after deployments at each stage.
- Support all mechanisms and best practices of git-based workflows such as pull requests, merging, and approvals.
- Commit your configuration to version control and collaborate on changes.
Monaco or Terraform?
You have two primary options when it comes to selecting the tool for Dynatrace Configuration as Code:
- recommended Monaco—This is the native Dynatrace Configuration as Code tool. Monaco is also the recommended tool for migrating from Dynatrace Managed to Dynatrace SaaS.
- Terraform—Dynatrace also supports Configuration as Code via a dedicated Terraform provider. Consider choosing this option if you're already using Terraform in your environment.