User action names are generated automatically based on triggered Ajax/XHR URLs. By including an extraction rule following each specific URL pattern, Dynatrace can provide intuitive automatic naming of XHR user actions.
Auto-detected user action names are often difficult to read, remember, and track. User-action naming rules give you options for generating consistent and readable user actions that can more easily be tracked across user experience charts and graphs. This includes the tracking of conversion goals for vital business workflows and user actions. Cross-process user actions can be set up as key user actions which you can use to track your application's success in achieving business conversion goals (for example, add to shopping cart actions, login actions, and newsletter signup actions).
Once you define detection and naming rules for your application’s user actions, your custom user action names are used throughout Dynatrace, including for example the Key user actions and Top consumers lists.
To configure naming rules for user actions:
- In the navigation menu, click Applications.
- Select the application you want to configure.
- Click the Browse (...) button in the top right corner to open the application's settings.
- Select User actions from the left menu.
- Click URL cleanup rule, naming rule or extraction rules to create a new rule or view the rules already defined. Cleanup rules are executed first, followed by naming rules. Extraction rules are executed last.