Agentless monitoring is meant to be used in cases where you don't have access to your web server and therefore can't install OneAgent. However, before deciding on a third-party library, consider the following points: The full benefits of Real User Monitoring can be obtained only after you’ve installed Dynatrace OneAgent. The installation of Dynatrace OneAgent is highly recommended for the following reasons:
Standards and security policies
To monitor AMP applications with Dynatrace:
- In the navigation menu, click Deploy Dynatrace.
- Click the Setup agentless or AMP monitoring button.
- Turn the My application relies on Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) button on.
Agentless monitoring requires you to insert tags by yourself, which is why you must ensure that it requires as little manual effort as possible. You don’t want to have to change your code every time your configuration changes or when a new version is released. The code snippet added to your application need not change at all as long as takes care of loading the right configuration and version for you.
To select an agentless Real User Monitoring approach:
- From the navigation menu, select Applications.
- Select the application that you want to configure.
- Click the Browse[…] button and select Edit.
- From Application settings, select Setup.
- From the Insert monitoring code dropdown list, select an insertion method.
Dynatrace offers a REST API that allows you to automatically retrieve the latest snippet for your application. You can automatically inject the latest script during the build time of your application.
Before you begin
What you'll need:
Set up agentless monitoring
Select Deploy Dynatrace from the navigation menu and then click Set up agentless or AMP monitoring. You can alternatively select Applications from the navigation menu, click Monitoring settings in the top right corner and select Set up agentless or AMP monitoring.
Type in your
Manual injection options
To view all the available manual injection options supported for agentless monitoring:
Select Applications from the navigation menu and then click an application for which the Injection type is Manually Injected (see filters in the left).
Click the Browse button (...) and select Edit.
In Setup, click Agentless Real User Monitoring setup.
Click the drop list under Insert monitoring code. The available manual injection options are the following:
Click Download to download the selected option.
- The above listed features are available for environments that have a minimum OneAgent version of v1.127 and above.
- Install a Cluster ActiveGate.
- Go to Settings > Public endpoints. In the ActiveGate URL text field, type the URL where your new ActiveGate can be reached. The URL must be publicly accessible and able to accept HTTPS requests.
Note: By default, Cluster ActiveGate listens on port
9999. If this isn't desired, it's possible to change the port in the ActiveGate configuration file. Alternatively, you can use the port of your choice and then redirect the traffic to port
9999 using firewall settings.
Make your cluster production ready
Load balance multiple ActiveGates
If you take this approach, you'll need to provide your load balancer URL in the activeGate URL text field, as explained above. Requests that your load balancer forwards to Cluster ActiveGates appear as follows:
GET and POST requests for transmitting session information to Dynatrace Managed:
Note: Be sure to configure the load balancer to set the
x-forwarded-for parameter for all forwarded requests. This parameter contains the IP address of the original request. Dynatrace needs this parameter to determine where the request originated from.
Load balancer should terminate SSL as this is very expensive on Cluster ActiveGate. For a higher performance and if security constraints allow it, traffic can be forwarded via plain HTTP from load balancer to Cluster ActiveGate.
CDN or caching proxy should forward all requests to
- Go to Settings > Public endpoints.
To simplify updates and configuration changes, you can use the Dynatrace API to get the current JavaSript tag.
To investigate problems that you may encounter with agentless real user monitoring, confirm the following:
- The response of the beacon endpoint starts with
- The application in the Dynatrace web UI shows data.