This topic describes the prerequisites and the procedure for enabling Session Replay.
Ensure that your system meets the following requirements:
- Dynatrace version 1.163 (SaaS) or Managed version 1.164
- OneAgent minimum version 1.169 on all monitored hosts in your environment
- Real User Monitoring enabled for your application
- An active Dynatrace Digital Experience Monitoring license
- Firewalls configured to allow application/octet-stream content coming from your application; some beacons sent by Session Replay are binary
- Managed deployments only: A secondary disk configured to store user session data
- The web UI URL has a trusted certificate
Session Replay data must be stored in a different volume, known as the secondary disk; therefore, every node in the cluster must have such a volume allocated to it.
Most sessions are estimated to be around 500 KB, the default data retention period is 35 days, and it is always good to have some buffer. Using these estimates, Dynatrace recommends that you calculate the secondary storage size by applying the following formula:
Storage size = Sessions per day * Average session size (500 KB) * Percentage of sessions to record * Retention period (35) * Buffer (1.5)
If you use Session Replay on mobile app crashes, an average session is estimated to be around 300 KB.
To configure the secondary disk:
- Mount the directory outside the transaction store. The transaction store and Session Replay folders must not be nested, but parallel. For example, if the
transactiondirectory resides at
session_replaydirectory can reside at
- Assign the ownership of the directory to the
- Set the value of the
SERVER_REPLAY_DATASTORE_PATHproperty in the
/etc/dynatrace.conffile to the directory you mounted in Step 1. In this example:
SERVER_REPLAY_DATASTORE_PATH = /mnt2/dynatrace/session_replay
- Launch the reconfiguration sequentially on every node with your
reconfigure.shfile. The path of this file is dependent on environment. An example command is:
[Path]/dynatrace/install/dynatrace-managed/installer/reconfigure.shManaged will be reconfigured and restarted. Upon restart, the new Session Replay storage location will be used.
How to enable Session Replay
To enable Session Replay
Select Applications from the navigation menu.
Select the application you want to configure.
Select the Browse [...] button > Edit.
From the Application settings menu, select Session Replay.
If the Session Replay option is missing from your Application settings menu, refresh your browser window. If the option is still missing, contact a Dynatrace ONE product specialist by clicking the chat button in the upper-right corner of the Dynatrace menu bar.
Turn on Enable Session Replay.
Learn how to configure Session Replay.
No additional configuration is required to set up agentless monitoring.