Dynatrace calculates Apdex ratings to provide you with a single metric that tells you about the performance of your application and the errors that impact user experience.
Apdex is calculated for each discrete user action and each application overall. In this way, it provides quick insight into the user experience provided by your application.
Default Apdex ratings in Dynatrace are based on application-specific thresholds.
- An Apdex measurement rating between
1.0equates to Excellent performance.
- An Apdex rating above
0.85equates to Good performance.
- An Apdex rating between
0.85equates to Fair performance.
- An Apdex rating below
0.7equates to Poor performance.
- An Apdex rating below
0.5is considered Unacceptable.
Apdex ratings can be used as benchmarks for comparing two applications over time, even though the timing thresholds set up for the two applications may be different.
Applications are typically comprised of many different user action types. For example, it might be acceptable to have a complex search in an application take up to 6 seconds to complete while the loading of the homepage in the same application might need to take less than 2 seconds to ensure user satisfaction. Such differences can be addressed by configuring different Apdex thresholds for various user action types.
For more details on the Apdex standard, see Apdex References.
How to adjust Dynatrace Apdex thresholds
Dynatrace Apdex ratings can be customized based on the specific requirements of your application. Once configured, they give you a quick and easy way of evaluating the performance of all user actions that you're monitoring: a value of
1.0 is perfect; values below
0.5 are unacceptable. It’s recommended that you define appropriate user-satisfaction timing thresholds and error impact configurations for each monitored user action.
Configure your application's Performance Apdex settings
In the Dynatrace menu, go to Frontend.
Select your application > Browse (…) > Edit.
From Application settings, select the General tab.
Select the Load actions, XHR actions, and Custom actions tabs, and use the sliders under Key performance metric thresholds and Fallback metric to select the values that determine a user action as Satisfactory, Tolerable, and Frustrating.
You can alternatively type the values in the provided input fields.
Under Load actions and XHR actions, use the drop-down list to select the key performance metric that will be used for Apdex calculation.
Configure Apdex settings for key user actions
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Frontend.
- Select your application, scroll down to Top 3 user actions, and select View full details.
- On the Multi-dimensional analysis: Performance page, scroll down to Key user actions, and select an action.
- Select Browse (…) > Edit.
- Under Key performance metric, use the drop-down list to select the key performance metric, and use the sliders to select the values that determine if the key user action is Satisfactory, Tolerable, and Frustrating.
How errors and HTTP status codes affect Apdex
The same is true for request errors. An HTTP response code, CSP violation or resource request that is configured in settings to be captured as an error leads to a Frustrated user action.
Context-based Apdex analysis
Dynatrace makes it easy for you to analyze your application's Apdex from a variety of dimensions.
To get a worldwide view with color-coded Apdex scores and other performance information
- On an application details page, click View geolocation breakdown > View full world map.
User action analysis
To analyze user satisfaction within a specific period of time for a specific user action
- On an application details page, either select one of the actions under Top 3 user actions, or click View full details.
- On the Multi-dimensional analysis: Performance page, scroll down to Top 100 user actions, and select a user action.
To see how user satisfaction evolves over time for a specific application during a specific period of time
- Go to an application details page, and scroll down to Apdex rating.
Cross-application user journey analysis
To analyze and understand the areas of struggle for each user action in a user journey
- On an applications details page, click Analyze user sessions, then select a user session.
Apdex for business reporting
You can highlight Apdex as a core metric for your business peers by adding Apdex-related tiles to your Dynatrace dashboard.