Prometheus data source
Dynatrace provides you with a framework that you can use to extend your application and services observability into data acquired directly from Prometheus. The Dynatrace extensions framework can pull Prometheus metrics from the
/metrics endpoint, a Prometheus API endpoint, or a data exporter (Prometheus target).
Note that Dynatrace provides out-of-the-box support for ingesting metrics from Prometheus exporters in Kubernetes and an ActiveGate extension for ingesting metrics from Amazon Managed Service for Prometheus.
You can run Prometheus extensions right on the Prometheus host where you installed OneAgent, so your metrics are automatically enriched with host-specific dimensions. If, however, you can't install OneAgent on the Prometheus host, you can run extensions remotely and execute them on an ActiveGate group of your choice.
We assume the following:
- You possess sufficient Prometheus subject matter expertise to create an extension.
- You're familiar with Extensions 2.0 basic concepts and the general structure of the extension YAML file.
Be sure to review all prerequisites and limits.
Supported Dynatrace versions
- Dynatrace version 1.225+
- ActiveGate version 1.225+
- OneAgent version 1.225+ (local extensions)
For limits applying to your extension, see Extensions 2.0 limits and the following Prometheus-specific limits:
- You can pull metrics from a maximum of 1,000 Prometheus endpoints
- Maximum 1,000
- Maximum 50 dimensions per metric
Note that a large number of dimensions can exceed the limits and impact your Dynatrace environment performance beyond its capacity. Consider that:
- Prometheus labels automatically become Dynatrace dimensions.
- Certain metrics can be assigned to dimensions with a constantly increasing set of values, each of them becoming a new dimension.
See Prometheus data source reference to learn about the structure of the Prometheus extension YAML file and monitoring configuration format.