Dynatrace Azure Functions support is currently in Beta and provides only limited support for pre-compiled Azure Functions that are written in .NET, running on Windows, and operated on an "App Service Plan".
Azure Functions allows you to build simple applications built on a serverless architecture using functions called by various triggers (for example, HTTP requests, scheduled triggers, queues, or storage events).
With the growing popularity of serverless applications, end-to-end tracing becomes even more important due to its nature of heavily distributed workloads.
Dynatrace offers the following capabilities for Azure Functions.
- Code-module support for .NET/.NET Core using any available trigger
- End-to-end tracing across multiple functions and other instrumented services and applications.
- Limited full-stack monitoring powered by OneAgent.
- Extension for easy deployment of OneAgent
- Enhanced support for Azure App Service metadata such as compute mode, SKU, and more.
Since Azure Functions are a fully managed hosting platform built on top of Azure App Services, functions/applications are deployed into a sandboxed environment that doesn't allow direct access to the underlying operating system. This results in some restrictions for OneAgent:
- No Log Analytics
- Enhanced I/O monitoring requires Azure Monitor integration
- Code-module support limited to .NET/.NET Core
- Automatic service detection
- Integration of Azure Monitor metrics
- Support for "Consumption Plan" based functions