To go to the Interactive charts page, click > Interactive charts.
You can drill down to the Interactive chart from the Trend details page.
Interactive charts graph Backbone, Last Mile, Private Last Mile, and Mobile data from one or more tests so you can quickly view trends and determine the root cause of problems.
The Interactive charts page consists of two sections:
- Create Charts
- View and Manage Charts
Creating new charts
Creating a new chart consists of selecting the items to chart.
Do one of the following:
- Search for a specific test by entering a test name in the search field and pressing Enter.
- Click .
The Interactive Charts: Tests window opens. Select the items to chart, as described in Searching for items to chart.
Viewing and managing saved charts
Use the table in the View and Manage Charts section of the Charts landing page to view or manage saved charts.
To view a saved chart:
- Select the chart from the table.
- Click Action > View in the row of the chart.
You can also use this table to:
- View the saved charts for your account.
- Save a chart.
- Delete a chart.
- Share a chart.
- Keep a chart private.
Viewing an interactive chart
After creating a new chart or selecting to view a saved chart, the Interactive charts page displays a Response Time Chart by Test.
A tab with the chart name appears above the chart.
- Click the <Metric> by <Grouping> chart name above the chart to view and modify the settings for that chart.
- Click Add Series to chart additional metrics for the selected tests/items.
- Click X to the right of a chart name to delete the chart. This option is not available if there is only one chart.
Above the chart are the following features:
- The time zone is located in the right corner of the page.
- The Select <ItemCharted> link enables you to select other items to chart.
Click the link to open the Interactive Charts: Tests window to select other items to chart.
- Name of the charted item(s) – The page lists the first item and the text “+ <n> more” where <n> represents the number of additional items charted. Click the value to see the names of the additional items.
- Time frame and interval, which you can modify.
- Filters, which you can modify.
- The option to save the chart, if it is a new chart, and the Action menu so you can manage this chart.
- The Templates menu provides a list of templates for you to choose for this chart.
- Ability to view long-term data.
- Ability to zoom.
Below the chart is a data table for the charted items.
Viewing additional metrics
You can modify the metrics in a chart or add up to five additional metrics.
The following options are available for a chart:
- Group By – Split the data by such factors as test steps, geography, carriers, hosts, or object types.
- View By – The default selection is Time. You can select a non-time value for the x-axis for synthetic tests.
When you chart Backbone tests, the View By options include Histogram. When you select Histogram, the Calculation option is not available and the Type option is set automatically. The Histogram option is only available when the Metric is Response Time and the Group By selection is Time. For more information, see Using the Histogram.
- Calculation – Select the calculation to use for the test/step level data.
Note: Standard Deviation can only be charted if there is more than one data point available for a time frame: e.g., A Backbone test ran against more than one node. If the test is only running against a single node, there is no deviation from the mean, and the chart will not display any data for Standard Deviation.
Not all of these options may be available for every chart.
To modify the metrics for a saved chart:
- Click the chart name located on the tab to display the options.
- Modify one or more values and click Update.
The chart displays the new metrics.
To chart another metric:
- Click Add Series to select the metrics for an additional chart.
- Modify one or more values and click Add.
The metric is displayed in a new chart. The chart name <Metric> by <Grouping> is displayed above the chart. To switch between charts:
- Click the chart name. The chart settings are displayed.
- Click Update. The chart is refreshed with the chart’s metric and settings.
Templates provide an easy-to-use method to view different metrics for a chart.
The type of templates available depend on the type of test or items you selected to chart.
These templates are available for Synthetic tests:
- Response Time Chart – The Response Time by Test or by Step chart is the default chart when you select to chart synthetic tests.
- Availability Chart
- Region Comparison
- Scatter Chart – The Scatter chart shows the patterns of individual data points so that you can quickly isolate outliers and identify groups of performance results.
- Network Component
Performance Map – The Performance Map is a geographical view of all measurements of a single metric in the time period defined by the chart.The colors shown on the map are determined by the metric’s values: the minimum and maximum values from the chart are the minimum and maximum values shown below the map. These values are then divided into thirds, with each color — green, yellow, or red — comprising one third of the total values. Control the color scale by dragging the legend control buttons.
At the top of the map, select the following options:
- Response Time
- DNS Time
- Connect Time
- 1st Byte Time
- Content Time
Selecting different items to chart
Select different or additional tests or items to chart:
Click Select <ItemCharted> to display the items selected for this chart. For example:
- In the Main Chart, click Select Tests to open the Interactive Chart: Tests window.
- In an Object Chart, click Select Objects to open the Interactive Chart: Objects window.
Select to add or remove items and click Chart.
The popup window closes and the Interactive charts page displays the chart for the selected item(s).
The filters that apply to this chart are listed in the top of the chart.
To modify the filters for this chart:
- If the chart is filtered, click the type of filter to open the Filters window with the tab for the selected filter shown.
- If the chart is unfiltered, click None to display the Filters window.
Note that filters are unavailable when you drill down for additional information from a data point.
Selecting time frames and intervals
You can select a standard or custom time frame and interval for this chart.
To change the time frame, do one of the following:
- Select a standard time frame.
Click the current time frame to display a list of time frames you can select for this chart.
- Create a customized time frame.
Click located next to Custom which opens the Time Frame dialog box which displays a calendar from which you can create a customized time frame.
- Select the start and end dates in the calendar or enter values in the fields below the calendar
- Select the start and end times from the lists located below the calendar.
- Optionally, change the interval for this time frame. See the next section for more information on intervals.
- Click Submit.
Selecting time intervals
You can change the default time interval for a chart.
- When creating a custom time frame, select a different interval from the list shown in the Time Frame dialog box.
- When viewing the chart, select a different value from the Interval list.
The values shown depend on the selected time frame.
- If time frame is less 12 hours, the default interval is 5 minutes.
- If the time frame is equal to or greater than 12 hours, but less than 7 days, the default interval is 1 hour.
- If the time frame is equal to or greater than 7 days, the default interval is 1 day.
Viewing long-term data
Interactive Charts can display 45 days of raw data (test-, step-, host-, and object-level data). Long term data is data whose start date is greater than 45 days ago. It consists of daily rollups of test- and step-level data. (Host- and object-level data is not available.)
You can view long-term data for synthetic tests only.
Any data requested in a date range with a start date that is greater than 45 days ago is also considered to be long-term data and uses the business rules described below.
Time frames for viewing long-term data are:
- The last 6 months
- The last 12 months
- Year to Date
- Custom dates
These filters are available for long-term data:
As host data is not available, the following options cannot be selected for Group by and View by:
- Host/IP Address
- Contributor Groups
The following calculation methods are also not available for long-term data:
- Standard deviation
Selecting to view long-term data displays the chart in the GMT time zone, which enables you to compare this data with benchmark data.
Drilldowns are not available for long-term data.
Zooming into areas of interest
Use the zoom feature to view areas of interest.
- Use the mouse to select an area of the chart to zoom in: the chart automatically zooms to the selected area.
- Click Reset zoom, located in the right corner of the chart, to view the original chart.
The data table lists the name of each test or object in the chart, with a Key that shows the color used to chart the item; and the values of the charted metric(s).
Viewing data by a non-time metric
If the data is charted by a non-time metric such as ISP, the data table displays this information in tabs:
- One tab displays the metric selected for the Group by value
- One tab displays for the metric selected for the View by value.
Customizing the columns
To change the columns that appear in the table, click at the far right corner of the table and select the columns to view.
Removing or displaying data in the chart
- Click the color icon in the Key column in a row in the table to remove that data from the chart.
- Click the color icon again to redisplay the data.
Hiding the table
- Click Hide data to hide the table.
- Click Show data to view the table.
Data points and drilldowns for data analysis
Use the data points to view additional information.
Hover over a data point to see the chart type, test/item name(s), and the day, time, and value at this point.
- indicates partial of the raw test points, included under the data point, is/are failures.
- indicates all raw test points, included under the data point, are failures.
If you don’t want to see the error and failure icons on charts, you can disable them: Click > <your username> to go to your profile page, and clear the check box for Include Error indicators in charting.
Click a data point to display the drilldown menu.
The menu displays the data type (Synthetic), the test name, and the day, time, and value for the data point.
Click a menu item to drill down for more information. To return to the Interactive Chart after drilling down, click Main Chart in the breadcrumb trail.
Depending on the data type and chart filter, some options may not be available.
- Root Cause Analysis.
- Raw Data.
- Raw Scatter – The Scatter chart shows the patterns of individual data points so that you can quickly isolate outliers and identify groups of performance results.
Waterfall – The waterfall chart for the first step in the test opens in a new browser tab. From this chart, you can scroll to the waterfall charts for other steps (if any).
You must enable popups for portal.dynatrace.com (or portaleap.dynatrace.com if you’re using the EAP Portal) to allow the waterfall chart to open.
You can’t run diagnostics in a waterfall chart opened from the interactive chart.
The Test details page isn’t available from the interactive chart.
- Object – The Interactive Charts: Objects window opens. Select the objects to include in the Object chart.
- Investigate series by – Select one of the menu items below Investigate series by to filter the chart by the selected series. The Group By setting above the chart is automatically changed to your selection.
For more details about the analysis workflows from interactive charts, see Analysis Workflow.
Viewing SCoE information
If Screen Capture on Error (SCoE) information is available and the chart is grouped by test, the SCoE icon appears in the Action column in the data table. This column is only available for charts of Synthetic tests.
Click at the end of the test row. The chart is replaced with a table that lists all screen captures available for the selected time period.
The table provides the following information:
- Failing Step – The name of each failing step.
- Error Code – The return code, including 200 (success).
- Error Name – A brief description of the error.
- Objects – The number of objects downloaded.
Measurement location, depending on the type of test:
- Backbone – Node name
- Last Mile and Private Last Mile – Machine ID and Machine name
- Mobile – Location and Machine carrier
- Time – The date and time the step was executed. Click a value to open the waterfall chart.
- Screen Capture – To view detailed SCoE information for a specific test run, click for Screen Capture on Error, or for Screen Capture on Success, to open the Screen Capture page.
Click X at the top right corner of the screen captures table to close it.
Viewing object information
When charting by test or step, the Object appears in the Action column in the Data Table if object information is available.
Click in the row of the test for which you want to view object information. The Interactive Charts: Objects window appears. Select the check box for each object you want to chart.
After selecting objects, the Interactive charts page reappears, displaying an Average Response Time by Object chart of the selected objects.
While the object chart has many of the same features as an interactive chart, you cannot drill down from an object chart. Long term data is also not available.
Click Select Objects at the top of the page to select other objects to chart.
Hover over a data point to view the object name, response time, and number of object failures.
You can also view object information in the waterfall chart.