Docker containers have become hugely popular for automating application deployment and isolating application processes. Monitoring is however still problematic. Yes, Docker provides APIs for monitoring CPU and memory at the container level, but let’s face it—who really cares about container health? It’s what’s running inside containers that matters to users and require monitoring. And now, with Docker support provided by Ruxit, that’s exactly what you get. Dynatrace offers a zero-configuration approach to the automatic monitoring of the contents of Docker containers, all without changing your container images, your start-up scripts, or anything else.
With Dynatrace Docker support, container monitoring is controlled entirely at the host level where Docker containers run. So you can use the same container images—and even the same deployment tools—and still effectively monitor your containerized applications as they move from development to production.
Find out more about Dynatrace Docker support.
Since Dynatrace Docker support is still in beta, you’ll need to enable it for each monitored host in your environment.
To enable Docker support:
- If you haven’t already done so, upgrade to Dynatrace Agent v1.71:
- Click the Dynatrace menu button.
- Click Settings.
- Select Monitoring overview.
- Click Download Dynatrace Agent or Security Gateway installer.
- From the Dynatrace homepage, click the Hosts tile.
- Select the host for which you want to enable Docker monitoring.
- Click Edit in the menu bar.
- Slide the Beta: Docker support slider to the On position.