Crash reporting is one of the key components of mobile app monitoring. Dynatrace OneAgent for mobile captures crashes and sends the stack traces to Dynatrace. Symbolication and deobfuscation is the process of making stack traces human readable and actionable. The screenshot below is an example of an Android stack trace, both before and after deobfuscation.
Automate your symbolication process with our REST API and the new Fastlane plugin
In March, we announced the Preview of our symbolication service, which allows you to manage iOS dSYM and Proguard mapping files with Dynatrace. With the release of Dynatrace version 1.174, the symbolication service is now generally available. This includes the following functionality:
- Global symbol management page for all apps in your environment
- App-specific symbol management page
- REST API to automate symbol file management
- Fastlane plugin that allows you to automate the entire process, including bitcode symbol retrieval from iTunes Connect, converting the DSYMs, and uploading the symbols to Dynatrace
For more details, please check out my earlier blog post for the Preview, Understand mobile app crashes effectively with our mobile symbol service and iOS symbolication.
As always, we’re already working on new functionality to make mobile monitoring and crash reporting even better for you. Stay tuned for new updates that will include the following:
- Gradle upload: An extension of the Gradle plugin that can automatically upload Proguard mapping files to Dynatrace via the REST API
- Support for iOS system libraries
- Improved crash reporting analysis views, including a multi-dimensional analysis view and drill-downs to the specific user sessions that led to the crashes