Dynatrace OneAgent delivers an all-in-one approach to full-stack monitoring, including native log analysis and management. We introduced a free tier of log analysis 1.5 years ago, with plans to deliver a paid tier that removes capability restrictions and introduces centralized data storage.
As of today, you can upgrade Dynatrace Log Analytics to remove the following limits of the free tier of the OneAgent log viewer:
- Limit of 20 log files per query
- Limit of 500 MB of total log data for analysis
- Limit of 7 days of analysis history
- Limit of 5 log-based event definitions
…and you can now store log data in central storage in the AWS cloud (Dynatrace SaaS) or on your NFS disks (Dynatrace Managed deployment).
This makes log data available and independent of log files themselves. This can be beneficial in the following situations:
- Short log retention periods
- Volatile log storage
- Legal requirements for keeping logs archived centrally for long time periods
Enable Log Analytics
Note: If your Dynatrace environment qualifies for upgrade, you’ll see an Upgrade Log Analytics button on the Log viewer page.
If you currently only have access to the limited free tier of Log Analytics
- Select Log files from the navigation menu to access Log viewer interface.
- Click Upgrade Log Analytics.
- Set the desired log-file retention period and optionally specify which logs you want to store in central log disk storage.
- Review your estimated log storage usage (this is calculated for you automatically).
- Click the Upgrade Log Analytics button.
Once you’ve upgraded Log Analytics, you can stream log data from all your hosts to Dynatrace Server in the AWS cloud (Dynatrace SaaS) or on your NFS disks (Dynatrace Managed deployment).
Note: You need to have your log storage quota set up by the Dynatrace Sales team prior to upgrading Log Analytics. If you’ve not yet done this, contact our Sales team directly, or use the link on the setup page (see below). Once your storage quota has been set up, you can upgrade Log Analytics.
Once your license has been upgraded following your purchase, return to the Log data storage settings page and verify your configuration. Now you’re ready to go!
Looking for answers?
Start a new discussion or ask for help in our Q&A forum.Go to forum