Tibco EMS monitoring
Learn how to use Dynatrace to trace Tibco EMS messages and monitor Tibco EMS.
- The Tibco EMS extension isn't required for tracing Tibco EMS messages. Dynatrace provides out-of-the-box automatic detection and monitoring of messages as described in the Tibco EMS message tracing section below.
- The Tibco EMS extension is required for monitoring Tibco EMS. See the Tibco EMS monitoring section for details.
Tibco EMS message tracing
Out of the box, Dynatrace automatically detects and monitors Tibco EMS queues and messages in your applications.
Dynatrace OneAgent displays Tibco EMS in the smartscape topology view.
All services that use Tibco EMS are listed in the Sends to queue and Receives from queue sections of the related service overview page.
As long as each message is sent and received within the same queue, you get an end-to-end view of each message trace.
Service-level backtraces can follow messages backward to their origins.
When you look at a single PurePath, you can understand the end-to-end flow of the message.
Tibco EMS monitoring
You need the Tibco EMS extension to monitor Tibco EMS from a broker level.
The Tibco EMS extension has the following requirements:
- Tibco EMS 8.0+ for Windows/Linux.
- OneAgent version 1.171+
- The dtuser account must be able to execute tibemsadmin, usually installed under
- A monitoring account must be created with sufficient privileges to run
show commandsunder tibemsadmin
- Statistics must be enabled inside EMS.
- The extension can only monitor up to 100 queues and 100 topics per instance per host.
- With OneAgent versions 1.189 and earlier, multiple EMS instances weren't detected as separate processes. The 100 limit was shared across all instances running on the same host.
- If your EMS instance has more than 100 queues or topics use the filter options on the configuration page to limit the list to essential items.
In the Dynatrace menu, go to Hub.
Find and select TIBCO EMS.
Select Download to get the extension ZIP file. Don't rename the file.
Unzip the ZIP file to the
plugin_deploymentdirectory of your monitored host. If the resulting directory structure isn'tshell
<EXTENSION-SPECIFIC-DIRECTORY>is the name of the directory containing the files for this extension, make the necessary changes.
In Dynatrace, select Settings > Monitoring > Monitored technologies.
Select Custom extensions and then Upload Extension.
Upload the ZIP file.
A new entry should appear called TibcoEMS. Select the link to configure.
Enter the following information to connect to your Tibco EMS.
Tibco account with sufficient privileges to run tibemsadmin commands such as
The user password
Select no for TCP or yes for SSL. Ensure the correct listener is enabled
Queue patterns to ignore (comma separated)
Enter a comma-separated list of queue names to ignore. Substrings are valid but do not use "*". To exclude queues such as
Topic patterns to ignore (comma-separated)
Enter a comma-separated list of topics names to ignore. Substrings are valid but do not use "*". To exclude topics such as
To view the data, navigate to the monitored host and select the Tibco EMS process.
Wait at least 2-3 minutes after deploying the extension for the first time.
The broker level information is displayed under the Tibco EMS tab.
The queues and topics are under Further details.
Filters can be applied to only show specific items.
The extension captures the version and if statistics are enabled. Visible under process properties.
- Queue Depth
- Queue pending message size
- Queue receiver count
- Queue inbound message rate
- Queue inbound message size rate
- Queue outbound message rate
- Queue outbound message size rate
- Topic message depth
- Topic message Size
- Topic inbound message rate
- Topic inbound message size rate
- Topic outbound message rate,
- Topic outbound message size rate
Pending messages count
Pending messages size
Synchronous storage size
Async storage size
Inbound message size rate
Inbound message count rate
Outbound message size rate
Outbound message count rate
Storage read size rate
Storage read count rate
Storage write size rate
Storage write count rate
The oneagent user can't execute tibemsadmin on Linux.
First verify that the OneAgent account can execute the tibemsadmin command-line utility.
Log onto the monitored host as root and type the following command:
sudo -u dtuser TIBCO_PATH/tibemsadmin -server tcp://HOST_NAME:PORT -user USERNAME -password PASSWORD
or if using a secure connection:
sudo -u dtuser TIBCO_PATH/tibemsadmin -server ssl://HOST_NAME:PORT -user USERNAME -password PASSWORD
Replace the variables with the correct values:
TIBCO_PATH: path of your Tibco EMS installation for instance /opt/tibco01/ems/8.5/bin
HOST_NAME: DNS name of the monitored host
PORT: Tibco listener port
USERNAME: Tibco account name entered on the plugin configuration page
PASSWORD: password entered on the plugin configuration page
If you see the following message, ensure that the dtuser has execute access to tibemsadmin:
unable to execute /opt/tibco01/ems/8.x/bin/tibemsadmin: Permission denied
The tibco account entered on the configuration page doesn't have sufficient privileges to either login or execute
show commands via tibemsadmin
Check for the following error message in the plugin logs:
Failed connect to 'tcp://xxxxxxxx:yyy': authentication failed
Alternatively, connect via the command line with tibemsadmin as the same account and execute
show server. It should return data.