Dynatrace offers a dedicated built-in OpenShift cluster overview page that gives you extended visibility into Kubernetes cluster performance and health.
Enable access to Kubernetes cluster overview page
Enabling access to the Kubernetes cluster overview page helps you get insights into your cluster via the Kubernetes API.
To enable access to the overview page for a specific Openshift cluster, you need
- Dynatrace version 1.164 or higher.
- ActiveGate version 1.163 or higher.
- a connection between your Openshift cluster and Dynatrace.
After enabling access to the Kubernetes overview page for a specific OpenShift cluster, the specific cluster will appear on the Kubernetes page. The Kubernetes page provides an overview of all Openshift clusters showing monitoring data like the clusters’ sizing and utilization.
To access this page, select Kubernetes from the navigation menu.
Utilization of cluster resources over time
As OpenShift can run any containerized workloads and allow for horizontal pod autoscaling, the actual utilization of cluster resources will likely be very volatile. That is why Dynatrace offers a single pane of glass for the most important utilization and performance metrics on a cluster level. These metrics are:
- Actual CPU/Memory usage of cluster nodes (Min, Max, Median)
- Total of CPU/Memory requests of containers running on cluster nodes (Min, Max, Median)
- Total of CPU/Memory limits of containers running on cluster nodes (Min, Max, Median)—limits may be overcommitted, ie. over 100 %.
- Available CPU/Memory resources for running additional pods/workloads on cluster nodes (Min, Max, Median)
- Total CPU that can be allocated for pods (since a part of CPU is typically reserved by the system)
- Max Memory that can be allocated for pods
In the sample screenshot, the cluster has a total of 3.76 CPUs, where 1.55 are allocated through container CPU requests and 2.21 CPUs are still available for running further containers. The chart shows that there is at least one node with a CPU usage of 25.6% and the least utilized node has a CPU usage of 10.5%.
How many resources are available on your OpenShift nodes
You can obtain detailed insights of the OpenShift node metrics on a per-node level to understand how individual nodes are utilized. The Node analysis page also provides information about how much workload can still be deployed on nodes (i.e., metrics CPU/Memory available).
The View host button allows you to jump to the host details page to obtain code-level insights into currently deployed containers, all the relevant and cloud-specific host properties, and OpenShift node labels.