Azure Functions allows you to build simple applications built on a serverless architecture using functions called by various triggers (for example, HTTP requests, scheduled triggers, queues, or storage events).
Dynatrace offers the following capabilities for Azure Functions.
- Code-module support for .NET/.NET Core using any available trigger.
- End-to-end tracing across multiple functions and other instrumented services and applications.
- Limited full-stack monitoring powered by OneAgent.
- Extension for easy deployment of OneAgent.
- Support for pre-compiled Azure Functions that are written in .NET, running on Windows, and operated on an App Service Plan.
- Enhanced support for Azure App Service metadata such as compute mode, SKU, and more.
Since Azure Functions are a fully managed hosting platform built on top of Azure App Services, functions/applications are deployed into a sandboxed environment that doesn't allow direct access to the underlying operating system. This results in some restrictions for OneAgent:
- Log monitoring isn't available.
- Enhanced I/O monitoring requires Azure Monitor integration.
- Code-module support limited to .NET/.NET Core.