By default, Dynatrace monitors all Amazon Web Services that have been specified in your permission policy. Optionally, if you're interested in limiting API calls to Amazon, you can use tagging to limit the AWS resources that are monitored by Dynatrace.
Add tags in AWS
Dynatrace monitoring tags work for EC2, RDS, ELB, EBS, auto-scaling groups, DynamoDB, and Lambda.
- Log in to your Amazon Management Console and go to the dashboard of the service you want to tag.
- Click Instances to see a list of your environments.
- Select an instance.
- In the panel below the list, click Tags.
- Click Add/Edit tags.
- In the pop-up window, click Create tag.
- Type in a tag key/value pair (for example, type 'monitor_dynatrace' in the Key field and 'true' in the Value field).
- Click Save.
Configure Dynatrace to use AWS tags
Dynatrace enables you to make use of two AWS monitoring tags at a time. Once configured, Dynatrace takes tagged services into account (EC2, RDS, ELB, EBS, or Auto-scaling) when querying performance counters.
AWS tag key/value pairs are executed with an OR operator. Keys do not need to be unique.
Tag-based AWS monitoring offers a lot of flexibility and is particularly helpful if:
You leverage multiple Dynatrace environments and you want to monitor distinct AWS services running under the same AWS account.
monitor_dynatrace : myenvironment1; monitor_dynatrace : myenvironment2
You need to monitor the same AWS account but distinguish between production and staging services.
monitor_dynatrace : production; monitor_dynatrace : staging
To assign tags to a specific AWS instance:
- If you haven't done so already, add the AWS account in Dynatrace Settings as explained in How do I start Amazon Web Services monitoring?
- Go to Settings > Cloud and virtualization > AWS & VMware and click Edit (pencil icon) next to the AWS instance you want to configure.
- In the AWS resources monitoring method drop list, select Monitor resources selected by tag.
- Type in one or two AWS key/value pairs (see examples below).
- To authenticate your configuration change you need to enter your secret access key.
- Click Save.