The configuration steps that must be completed before HTTP monitors can be set up for synthetic testing are detailed below.
HTTP monitors are only available on Linux-based Environment ActiveGates (version 1.151+).
For details, see how to install an Environment ActiveGate.
Configure ActiveGate in preparation for HTTP monitors
- From the navigation menu, click Deployment status.
- Click Install ActiveGate.
- Click the Linux button (synthetic monitoring is only available for Environment ActiveGates running on Linux).
- Follow the prompts provided by the installation wizard.
- Using your server’s command line, edit the
custom.propertiesfile as shown below. Depending on your ActiveGate version and deployment setup, you'll find this file at either
- Add a
[synthetic]section if one does not already exist.
- On a new line, add the property
synthetic_enabled = true.
The resulting flag should look like this:
[synthetic] synthetic_enabled = true
Note: For ActiveGate versions 1.149 or lower, use this flag instead:
[collector] enableHttpChecks = true
Save the file.
Restart the ActiveGate process on your server (the service doesn't support the
restartmethod, so you must do this manually:
- Stop the service
sudo /etc/init.d/dynatracegateway stop- this is a non-blocking option so please ensure that the service has been stopped with
sudo /etc/init.d/dynatracegateway statusbefore you proceed with the next step.
- Start the service
sudo /etc/init.d/dynatracegateway start
- Stop the service
Go to the Deployment status page again to confirm that your installed ActiveGates are reporting correctly.
Go to Settings > Web & mobile monitoring > Custom monitoring locations.
Click Create a custom monitoring location.
Give your location a Name.
Select the IP address of installed ActiveGate that you want to operate in this location.
Now you can create an HTTP monitor. See the How do I create an HTTP monitor? page for that.
- HTTP monitors are only available on Linux ActiveGates.
- Only two ActiveGates can be assigned to a single location for load balancing and fail-over
- Only IPv4 and DNS UDP are supported for network configuration.
- Minimum hardware requirements are the same as for other clean ActiveGate installations.