User management and SSO
Dynatrace makes it easy to manage user permissions based on user account membership in user groups. You can manage these accounts and groups locally, through LDAP, or through an IdP.
To manage user permissions, assign permissions to user groups and then add user accounts to user groups.
- Each group is assigned a set of permissions.
- Each account is assigned to one or more groups.
- Each account that is assigned to a group inherits the permissions of that group.
- When you change the permissions of a group, the permissions of each account in that group change accordingly.
- When you assign an account to multiple groups, the account inherits the combined permissions of all those groups.
Depending on your deployment model (Dynatrace SaaS or Dynatrace Managed), you can do the following:
- Both models: Use an internal user database to manage users and groups with no external authentication.
- Both models: Integrate Dynatrace with an SSO IdP (Single Sign-On Identity Provider) for the management of users and groups.
- You can integrate a Dynatrace SaaS deployment with SAML 2.0 as an SSO IdP.
- You can integrate a Dynatrace Managed deployment with SAML 2.0 or OpenID as an SSO IdP.
- Dynatrace Managed only: Connect your Dynatrace Cluster to an external LDAP authentication server to import user groups or accounts that need access to your Dynatrace environment. With LDAP integration, all users are accessed from your external LDAP resource. You then assign group privileges and roles through LDAP.
To access user authentication configuration pages in Dynatrace SaaS
You need admin rights to configure user permissions.
- Manage user groups and permissions
- Manage users and groups with SAML
- Manage users and groups with SCIM
- Specify emergency contacts
In Dynatrace Managed, select User authentication in the navigation menu to access user authentication configuration pages.
Dynatrace for Government
API reference - Dynatrace for Government
- Dynatrace for Government API - Users
- Dynatrace for Government API - Groups
- Dynatrace for Government API - Group membership
- Dynatrace for Government API - Group permissions
Ask the Dynatrace Community
See the Dynatrace Community SSO label for questions and answers related to Dynatrace and SSO.