Enable Session Replay
This page describes the prerequisites and the procedure for enabling Session Replay.
Ensure that your system meets the following requirements:
- Dynatrace SaaS version 1.163+ or Dynatrace Managed version 1.164+
- OneAgent version 1.169+ on all monitored hosts in your environment
- Real User Monitoring enabled for your application
- An active Dynatrace Digital Experience Monitoring license
- Firewalls configured to allow application/octet-stream content coming from your application (some beacons sent by Session Replay are binary)
- Dynatrace Managed only A secondary disk configured to store user session data
- The web UI URL has a trusted certificate
You must store the Session Replay data in a different volume, known as the secondary disk. Therefore, every node in the cluster must have such a volume allocated to it.
Most sessions are estimated to be around 500 KB, the default data retention period is 35 days, and it is always good to have some buffer. Using these estimates, Dynatrace recommends that you calculate the secondary storage size by applying the following formula:
Storage size = Sessions per day * Average session size (500 KB) * Percentage of sessions to record * Retention period (35) * Buffer (1.5)
To configure the secondary disk
- Mount the directory outside the transaction store. The transaction store and Session Replay folders must not be nested but parallel. For example, if the
transactiondirectory resides at
session_replaydirectory should reside at
- Assign the ownership of the directory to the
- Set the value of the
SERVER_REPLAY_DATASTORE_PATHproperty in the
/etc/dynatrace.conffile to the directory you mounted in Step 1. For example,
SERVER_REPLAY_DATASTORE_PATH = /mnt2/dynatrace/session_replay.
- Launch the reconfiguration sequentially on every node with your
reconfigure.shfile. The path of this file depends on the environment. An example command is
Dynatrace Managed is reconfigured and restarted. Upon restart, the new Session Replay storage location is used.
Turn on Session Replay
To enable Session Replay
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Web.
- Select the application you want to configure.
- Select More (…) > Edit.
- From the application settings, select Session Replay and behavior > Session Replay.
- Turn on Enable Session Replay.
After you've enabled Session Replay, it's time to configure it.
No additional configuration is required to set up agentless monitoring.