Dynatrace offers an expanded selection of key performance metrics on which you can base your Real User Monitoring.
Choose the right performance metric for each application condition
Choosing the right key performance metric also lets you adjust to varying performance levels for different features of one web application. For example, a customer may be satisfied waiting five seconds after clicking a button to confirm a booking, but be frustrated waiting five seconds for the autocomplete box of a search field to appear.
With key performance metrics and key user actions, you can now pick the ideal performance metric and expected performance goals that best fit each separate user action. Dynatrace key performance metrics enable you to respond to such variable conditions for each application you monitor.
Use key performance metrics to monitor application performance
Key performance metrics are activated by default, and "Visually complete" is selected as the key metric for load and XHR actions. "User action duration" is selected as the default metric for custom actions.
Once you enable key performance metrics for an application, you can select the right key performance metric for its load actions, XHR actions, and any custom actions.
To select key performance metrics for an application
- Click Applications from the navigation menu.
- Select the application you want to configure.
- Click the Browse [...] button and select Edit.
- Click General, and from the Load actions, XHR actions, and Custom actions tabs in the Select a key performance metric for this application section, select the key performance metric that best represents the user experience for each user action type.
For situations where you want to tailor the key performance metric used for different features in one web application, you can select a different key performance metric for the application's different key user actions.
- Click Applications from the navigation menu, then select the application you want to configure.
- On the application's details page, select a key user action in the Top User Actions tile, or click View full details in the Top User Actions tile and then select the desired user action from the Key user actions list.
- On the detail page for the selected key user action, click the Browse [...] button and select Edit.
- On the User Action settings page that appears, make sure Key performance metric is selected, then choose a key performance metric from the list box as shown in the following image
See key performance metrics information for your applications
Several dashboard tiles such as the Worldmap, User Action, and Key user actions are affected based on the selected key performance metric. The metrics are also available for custom charting.
The Application overview page shows "Visually complete" by default for load actions and XHR actions. "User action duration" is used for custom actions.
The User action page, when "Speed index" is selected as the key performance metric, reflects Speed index in all tiles and charts.