Advanced metric queries for custom metric events
There are two types of metric queries in metric events—basic and advanced. Basic queries just observe raw measurements streaming in. Advanced queries apply a transformation to the raw data. Dynatrace always displays the type of the query in the Alert preview section of the metric event configuration.
Examples of advanced queries include:
- Auto-adaptive baseline, because it requires calculation of the baseline
- Monotonic counters, because a mathematical operation is necessary on the raw counts to gain a continuous rate.
- Missing data alerts, because the condition has to be proactively checked.
- Mathematical expressions.
- Dimension aggregations.
There is an overall limit of 10,000 metric event configurations per monitoring environment that can be divided into the following categories:
- Basic queries—there is no dimension limit for basic queries. For example, you can create an alert for 20,000 CPU cores in one metric event configuration. While there's no dimension limit, the throttling limit of 100 simultaneous alerts per configuration is used as a safeguard.
- Advanced queries—additional limits apply:
- 100,000 dimensions per environment
- 1,000 dimensions per metric event configuration
- 100 advanced query configurations per monitoring strategy. You can have 100 configurations with an auto-adaptive baseline and 100 configurations with custom thresholds.