Log Monitoring v2
To enable Log Monitoring v2 in:
- Make sure that you're running the latest version of Dynatrace.
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Logs.
- Select Start using Log Monitoring v2 and confirm your choice.
If you mask sensitive information in Log Monitoring v1, do not enable Log Monitoring v2.
- Make sure that you're running the latest version of Dynatrace and minimum OneAgent version 1.217.
- Make sure that Managed cluster nodes follow the hardware recommendations for Log Monitoring v2.
- Configure your Environment Active Gate to enable Generic Ingestion: Generic log ingestion
- Enable Log monitoring v2 on specific environment via API: Enable Log Monitoring
Log data ingestion is limited to 10,000 log events per minute per cluster. If your log data stream carries more than 10,000 log events per minute within your cluster, all log events above that number will be ignored and the displayed log data will contain the information that too many log events were ingested. You can update the total log events per cluster limit based on the cluster resources size. Update log events per cluster for Log Monitoring
Log data acquisition
Dynatrace automatically collects log and event data from a vast array of technologies. With generic log ingestion, you can stream log records to a system and have Dynatrace transform the stream into meaningful log messages.
Dynatrace supports all major third-party platforms and architectures:
- Support for open-source log data frameworks, including FluentD and Logstash.
- Native support for Kubernetes logs and events for Kubernetes platforms, workloads, and applications running inside Kubernetes.
- Native support for multicloud environments, including AWS, GCP, Microsoft Azure, and Red Hat OpenShift.
- Intelligent log monitoring for cloud-native architectures.
Dynatrace Log monitoring allows you to automate your cloud-related log tasks:
- Automatically see precise problem root cause in real time to simplify cloud complexity.
- Automate cloud operations and trigger remediation workflow to enhance the efficiency.
- Automatic ingestion of logs, metrics, and traces, and continuous dependency mapping with precise context across hybrid and multi-cloud environments.
Log data analysis
Log Monitoring gives you direct access to the log content of all your system's mission-critical processes. Log data typically contain a lot of information. One way to handle a large amount of data is to narrow down the log records and parse them. The log viewer enables you to present log data in a filterable table that is easy to work with, and to browse log data within a certain timeframe using detected aspects of the log content. You can use automatically generated facets to narrow down your log view and to focus on a specific aspect of the log content.
Once you create log events based on your log content, Dynatrace artificial intelligence will automatically correlate relevant log events with any problems that it detects in your environment. Relevant log events that are associated with problems are then factored into problem root-cause analysis.
User rights for Log Monitoring
Logs often contain sensitive information that may not be appropriate for all users to see. For this reason, your Dynatrace administrator must add approved Log Monitoring users to the Log viewer group, which has the View logs account-security permission. Non-admin users are NOT part of this group by default. To access log contents, they must be explicitly added.
Log data alerting
Define patterns and custom log metrics to receive proactive notifications. Log Monitoring enables you to create a metric based on your monitored log data. With such a metric, you can have Dynatrace continuously scan your monitored log data and display a chart of that metric on your dashboard so that any pattern changes that occur in your custom metric will be clearly visible.
Log content auto-discovery
Log data formats
Generic log ingestion
Log Monitoring API v2 - POST ingest logs
Log custom attributes
Log sources and storage
Add log files manually
Log Monitoring configuration file