Monitor persistent volume claims on Kubernetes/OpenShift
Dynatrace version 1.240+
ActiveGate version 1.239+
In Kubernetes, persistent data is stored in persistent volume claims (PVCs). Dynatrace provides you the needed insights into your persistent volume claims capacity.
- You can add a dedicated Kubernetes persistent volume claims preset dashboard to Dynatrace (extension required) that allows you to analyze your persistent volume claims based on total capacity, usage, remaining free space, and growth rates.
- Templates for custom alerts enable you to alert on related issues, such as persistent volume claims running out of free space or growing in an unusual manner.
To start monitoring persistent volume claims, see below.
Make sure that the
get rule and the
nodes/metrics resources are enabled in the Kubernetes ClusterRole.
To enable PVC monitoring
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Kubernetes and select your Kubernetes cluster.
- Select More (…) and go to Settings.
- Enable Monitor persistent volume claims (available only if your Kubernetes cluster is connected to a local Kubernetes API endpoint).
- Select Test connection to verify your connection. If connection to the API is successful, you should get this message: Successfully connected to Kubernetes API.
- Select Save changes.
Activate dashboard and alerts
To add a dedicated dashboard for PVC monitoring and configure the preset PVC alerts
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Dynatrace Hub.
- Find and select the Kubernetes persistent volume claims extension.
- Follow the setup instructions in the extension tile.
This feature is available only if your Kubernetes cluster is connected to a local Kubernetes API endpoint.