Configure and use a honeycomb visualization in Dynatrace
Shows query results as a honeycomb.
Example honeycomb in the Data explorer
Example honeycomb dashboard tile
- Hover over a cell to see details
- Hover and select to get drilldown options
Select a different metric
By default, this visualization shows the first metric of a multi-metric query.
To select a different metric from a multi-metric query, select the letter next to the metric you want to visualize. In this example, you would change the selection from A (
CPU usage %) to B (
Memory used %).
You must select
Honeycomb to display this type of visualization.
Show legend and show hive
You can show or hide the hive and legend independently.
- If you select Show legend only, the legend expands to be the only visual representation of the query results.
- If you select Show hive only, the hive expands to be only visual representation of the query results.
- If you select both (as in the example above), the hive is the primary visualization and the legend is displayed under the hive.
If you select Show labels, each cell in the hive shows a label and value as in the example above.
The fold transformation combines a data points list (a timeseries: a collection of data points over the time period) into a single data point.
- The default fold transformation is
Auto, which automatically selects the most appropriate time aggregation based on the metric.
- You can manually override
Autowith any of the following:
- If you need to see the last reported value for a metric (rather than an aggregation), select
Per-metric visual settings
The Visual settings section also displays visualization options per metric selected for the query.
Rename a metric
You can change the name of a metric as it is displayed on the chart and in the chart legend. The query definition retains the metric's original name.
- In the Visual settings section, select for the metric you want to rename.
- Edit the name, and then select the checkmark to save the new name.
Change color palette
To change the color palette for a metric, in the Visual settings section, select a new palette from the list.
Use the Format setting to configure the number of decimal places displayed for the selected metric.
None= No formatting
Auto= Dynatrace selects an appropriate format
- Other selections specify the number of decimal places to display:
For example, where
None would display
Auto would display
To enhance your visualizations, you can set thresholds that are reflected in your visualization.
This example shows a Graph visualization of
CPU usage % (
builtin:host.cpu.usage) before and after adding thresholds. The effect is similar for other visualizations with thresholds.
The thresholds also affect how the tiles are displayed on your dashboards.
To set thresholds
In the Thresholds section, enter threshold values
Adjust threshold colors optional
Hide or show threshold colors
To hide or show threshold colors without deleting the threshold settings, in the Thresholds section, select .
In the example above, thresholds for CPU usage percent have colored the cells green, yellow, and red.