OpenTelemetry traces FAQ
Why is my access token being used but I don't see any spans?
When an access token is being used but the spans are missing, it indicates that there was an unsuccessful attempt to access the Dynatrace environment.
- If your access token is past its expiry date, the token is invalid and spans will not be ingested. Check your access token details for an expiry date and create a new access token if needed.
- Verify your licensing.
Why is my access token not being used and I don't see any spans?
An unused access token means that there was no attempt to access the Dynatrace environment at all, which indicates an error on the code level.
There are several possible causes, including:
- Check your imports and dependencies to make sure that all necessary packages are up to date, imported into the code, and can be used.
- Check your exporter; there could be an error in your endpoint or access token.
- Check to make sure that the SDK is being initialized before any library is used.
- Check whether all manually created spans are ended, even in case of exceptions, errors, or other unpredicted behavior.
- Check any logs you might have for error messages.
- Check other traces in the Dynatrace web UI to see whether your spans have become part of another existing trace.
- If you are using a collector, make sure all services are enabled.
Why are my spans not linked? Why are my spans orphaned?
This is most likely caused by an error in context propagation on the code level.
Check the instrumentation guides for initial troubleshooting.
Why are my attributes missing?
There are at least two potential causes:
- If the attribute key is listed but the value is missing, check your privacy settings and make sure that the attribute you want to see is present on the allowlist. To learn how to manage your allowlist, see OpenTelemetry data capture and span privacy settings.
- If the attribute key is also missing, check the attribute definition.
Why is my vertical topology missing?
Vertical topology is a concept restricted to OneAgent. Without OneAgent installed, Dynatrace won't report the vertical topology.