Manage Microsoft SQL Server extensions
Dynatrace provides you with a framework that you can use to extend your application observability into data acquired directly from your Microsoft SQL Database layer, so that you can monitor how database server tasks impact your app.
Start by checking our Software intelligence hub to see if the Dynatrace-provided Microsoft SQL Server extension satisfies your requirements. If you need something different, you can build your own Microsoft SQL Server extension.
Before you begin
Designate an ActiveGate group or groups that will remotely connect to your Microsoft SQL Database server to pull data. All ActiveGates in each designated group need to be able to connect to your Microsoft SQL Database server.
Manage Microsoft SQL extensions
Dynatrace Hub provides a unified workflow to enable and manage extensions that ingest Microsoft SQL Server data into your Dynatrace environment.
- From the Dynatrace menu, go to Dynatrace Hub.
- Search for a Microsoft SQL server extension.
- Select Add to environment to enable the extension in your environment.
- Select Add monitoring configuration.
Select Add Sql Server endpoint to define the servers from which you want to pull data. You can define up to 100 endpoints. Provide the following connection details:
Select Next step.
- Select the ActiveGate group to determine which ActiveGates will run the extension.
- Select Next step.
Activate the extension
- Give your monitoring configuration a distinctive label in Description.
- Select Activate.
Monitoring configuration as JSON
The extension activation wizard contains a dynamically updated JSON payload with your monitoring configuration. To learn how to use it to activate an extension using the Dynatrace API, see Extensions 2.0 lifecycle.