Dynatrace OneAgent can be installed on all major operating systems and frameworks. But what if you use a technology that can't be monitored out-of-the-box with OneAgent? This is where ActiveGate plugins come in. With ActiveGate plugins you can integrate any remote technology that exposes an interface into your Dynatrace monitoring (for example, PaaS technologies, network devices, cloud technologies, or anywhere else OneAgent installation isn't an option. ActiveGate plugins (aka "Remote plugins") are executed on Environment ActiveGates and can acquire metrics and topology from remote sources.
Dynatrace supports several technologies through ActiveGate plugins but additionally offers a Plugin SDK that allows you to create your own custom plugins.
What can I achieve with ActiveGate plugins?
With ActiveGate plugins, you can integrate Dynatrace monitoring with any remote technology that exposes an interface. You don’t need to install OneAgent. ActiveGate plugins run on Environment ActiveGates and gather data remotely.
With deep integration, Dynatrace can import not only other technologies’ metrics, properties, and events, but also their topologies, which can be subsequently analyzed with the Dynatrace AI. Along with this ability to monitor new technologies comes one of the main benefits of Dynatrace: causation between user actions, technology-specific data, transactional visibility, and more. The Dynatrace AI makes use of all this information to identify the root causes of performance issues in your application environment.
So, you can:
- Feed Dynatrace with metrics, events, properties, and a topology from any technology exposing an interface.
- Define the data visualization.
- Sit back and let Dynatrace AI analyze the incoming data in exactly the same why as it does for out-of-the-box supported technologies.
To learn more, see ActiveGate plugins capabilities.
How do I get started with custom ActiveGate plugins?
To get started with ActiveGate plugins
- Try to deploy your first ActiveGate plugin. It will give you an overall idea of the whole framework.
- Learn what you can achieve with ActiveGate plugins and define your monitoring needs.
- Read through topics presenting real-life examples of building a custom plugin.
- Read the ActiveGate plugins reference.