This page lists the return codes and error codes that may be displayed in the Synthetic Classic Portal and in the Windows Recorder after script playback. Note that some errors display a description of the failure instead of an error code.
A step may run successfully even though objects in the step return an error code. For example, an image may be 404 Not Found, but otherwise the page loaded and actions were performed correctly.
For detailed information regarding HTTP status codes, refer to the Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1 documentation from the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
Return codes 2xx
|200 Success||An object that loaded successfully returns the code 200. In general, response codes 2xx are not considered errors.|
|299 Request discarded||The browser aborted the object request. This does not indicate an object failure. Instead, it indicates a successful object request that was discarded by the browser because of page behavior at the time the request was aborted. For Mobile tests, the description may be "299 Aborted request".|
Contributor groups errors
|30500 Text Match Failed||The content match condition defined for this page or object was not met. This is usually due to the appearance of an error page or a site change.|
|400 (Client) Bad Request||The request is not understood by the server because of incorrect syntax. Some request parameters are not correct. In the REST API, the error description is "400 invalid query".|
|401 (Client) unauthorized||User authentication is required. A valid authorization header (Basic Authentication) is required but is not available. In the REST API, the error description is "401 authentication needed".|
|402 (Client) payment required||This code is reserved for future use.|
|403 (Client) forbidden||The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Most often, execution of the request is not allowed because the user lacks required permissions.|
|404 (Client) Not Found||The server has not found the requested URL. This response does not indicate whether the condition is temporary or permanent.|
|405 (Client) Method not allowed||The method specified in the Request-Line is not allowed for the resource identified by the Request-URL.|
|406 (Client) Not Acceptable||The server is not sending a response that the requestor is willing to accept.|
|407 (Client) Proxy Authentication Required||The client must authenticate itself with the proxy (similar to Unauthorized).|
|408 (Client) Request Timeout||The client (web browser) did not produce a request within the time that the server was prepared to wait.|
|409 (Client) Conflict||The web server thinks that the request submitted by the client (web browser) cannot be completed because it conflicts with some rule already established. Note that the conflict here is usually not related to standard web server authority/security (for which different errors are generated), but to some application-specific conflict not defined in the HTTP protocol itself.|
|410 (Client) Gone||The requested resource is no longer available at the server and no forwarding address is known (similar to 404, but 410 is permanent). The web server thinks that the URL requested by the client (the web browser) is no longer available from that system. The web server has no forwarding address for the URL, so can provide no redirection to the new web server. This condition is similar to error code 404 but should generally be considered permanent.|
|411 (Client) length required||The server refuses to accept the request without a defined content-length. This error occurs when the Browser Agent makes a request of a web page and the server is expecting a POST request, but no POST data is sent. For more information, see the Knowledge Base article What a 411 Client Length error means.|
|412 (Client) precondition failed||The precondition given in one or more of the request-header fields evaluated to false when it was tested on the server. A 412 error is usually caused by a configuration or programming error on the web server. When parsing a webpage, the web server looks for a precondition specification in the browser's HTTP data: specifically, one or more of the request's header fields. If the precondition is not met in the web page, the server returns the 412 error.|
|413 (Client) request entity too large||The server is refusing to process a request because the request entity is larger than the server is willing or able to process.|
|414 (Client) Request-URI too long||The request entity is larger than the server is willing or able to interpret.|
|415 (Client) Unsupported media type||The server is refusing to service the request because the entity of the request is in a format not supported by the requested resource for the requested method.|
|416 (Client) Requested range not satisfiable||The request included a Range request-header field, and not any of the range-specified values in this field overlap the current extent of the selected resource. The request also did not include an If-Range request-header field.|
|417 (Client) Expectation failed||The expectation given in the Expect request-header could not be fulfilled by the server.|
|422 Unprocessable entity||The server understands the content type of the request entity and the syntax of the request entity is correct, but the server was unable to process the contained instructions.|
|429 Too many requests||The user has sent too many requests in a given amount of time.|
|500 (Server) Internal server error||The client's web server is incapable of performing the request.|
|501 (Server) Not implemented||The server is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server.|
|502 (Server) Bad gateway||The server received an invalid response from the upstream server that it accessed while attempting to load the web page or fill another request by the server.|
|503 (Server) Service unavailable||The server is unable to handle the request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. In the Windows Recorder, the error description is "503 Out of resources".|
|504 (Server) Gateway timeout||The server did not receive a response in time from the upstream server specified by the URL.|
|505 (Server) HTTP version not supported||The server does not support the HTTP protocol version that was used in the request message.|
|10001 Server response missing status line||The response received does not match the HTTP standard. All HTTP responses are expected to have a line in the header or body, in the HTTP/(version return code) format.
This will happen randomly on an object. Confirmation that the object download in the browser is received if the number of bytes downloaded is greater than 0.
Sample status lines:
|10052 Network reset||The TCP connection was reset when the network connection was lost by the Agent. Typically, this error is seen when a server is overloaded and is dropping connections.|
|10053 (Socket) connection aborted||The Agent connection to the Web server was reset by the local system. This usually occurs when the Agent does not receive an appropriate response to an attempt to close an open TCP connection.|
|10054 (Socket) connection reset||A TCP connection that was successfully opened has been reset by the remote end. This error may be caused by a server reboot or by a server process being restarted.|
|10060 (Socket) connection timeout||The Agent's attempt to open a new TCP connection to the remote server timed out. The timeout value is set by the Agent's operating system, and occurs 21 seconds after the attempt to open the connection began. This can occur due to high levels of packet loss on the network path between the Agent and the remote server or because the number of incoming connection requests exceeds the servers current capacity.|
|10061 (Socket) connection refused||The remote server has refused the attempt by the Agent to open a TCP connection.|
|11001 Operation failed: socket already open or in use||The Agents attempt to open a new TCP connection failed as the connection was already open or in use.|
|11002 Socket creation failed||The Agent's attempt to create a new TCP connection failed.|
|11003 Socket connection failed||The Agent's attempt to connect to a TCP connection failed.|
|11004 Invalid domain name or address||The format of the specified domain name or URL is invalid.|
|11005 Connection timeout||The Agent attempted to open a new connection and an ICMP message was returned from some point on the network path indicating that the port being connected to was unavailable through the known network path.|
|12000 (Socket) receive timeout||The connection has been dropped by the Agent because no response has been received from the remote server on a TCP connection that is already established. By default, this timeout for Browser agents is 40 seconds.|
|12003 Request rejected by server||The server could not respond because of a malformed request. This may be a temporary network condition.|
|12004 Invalid url||The URL that is about to be requested is not constructed in a valid format. Examples of this include URLs containing spaces or other illegal characters.|
|12005 Connection terminated before completion||The TCP connection terminated before the transaction was completed.|
|12006 Invalid file type specified||The file type specified is not valid.|
|12007 Unable to open specified data source||The Agent was unable to open the specified data source.|
|12008 Timeout occurred||Transaction failed because the end-to-end response time of the transaction exceeded the hard timeout limits.|
|12009 Socket receive error||The Agent failed to receive any data from the host server within the time specified by the read timeout value.|
|12010 Data source write error||A data source write error occurred.|
|12011 Operation aborted||The Agent aborted the transaction.|
|12012 Unable to connect to server or proxy||The Agent could not connect to the server or proxy server.|
|12013 DNS lookup failure||The attempt to resolve the host name into an IP address failed.|
|12037 SSL certificate date is incorrect||The SSL certificate's date is incorrect.|
|12038 SSL certificate common name is incorrect||The SSL certificate's common name is incorrect.|
|12055 SSL certificate contains errors||An error occurred with the SSL certificate, so the SSL connection could not be established.|
|12169 SSL certificate is invalid||An error occurred with the SSL certificate, so the SSL connection could not be established.|
|16013 IPv6 DNS error||The attempt to resolve the host name into an IPv6 address failed.|
|19999 (Socket) Unknown connection error||The connection failed for an unknown reason.|
|A certificate is required to complete client authentication||The server expects a digital certificate to be installed.|
|31000 Timeout exceeded||The transaction failed because the end-to-end response time of the transaction exceeded the current limits. The default timeout limits are 1 minute per page and 3 minutes per transaction.|
|31001 Hard timeout||The transaction failed because an object exceeded the hard deadline of 180 seconds.|
|31002 Page soft timeout||The transaction failed because a page took longer to download than the page soft deadline. The soft deadline value is 60 seconds per page.|
|31003 Page hard timeout||The transaction failed because a page took longer to download than the page hard deadline of 180 seconds.|
|31004 Wait for page complete timeout||The attempt to load a page completely timed out. The default value is 60 seconds; however this value can be modified for a script in the Recorder.|
|31005 Network wait timeout||All network requests did not complete in 60 seconds. By default, the Agent waits 60 seconds; however this value can be modified for a script in the Recorder.|
|31006 Wait for validate timeout||The attempt to validate that the specified text was present timed out. By default, the Agent waits 30 seconds; however this value can be modified for a script in the Recorder.|
|31007 Wait for event timeout||The transaction failed because a specific client-side event did not complete. By default, the Agent waits 60 seconds; however this value can be modified for a script in the Recorder.|
|0 Could Not Connect to Server||The agent could not connect to the server or the server was unavailable.|
|300 (Redirect) Multiple choices||The requested resource corresponds to multiple representations, each with its own specific location. Agent-driven negotiation information is being provided so that you can select a preference and redirect its request to that location.|
|301 (Redirect) Moved Permanently||The requested resource has been assigned to a new permanent URL.|
|302 (Redirect) Found||The requested resource resides temporarily under a different URL. Client (web browser) should continue to use the URL since the redirection may vary. The error description may also be "300 (Redirect) temporary redirect".|
|303 (Redirect) See Other||The response to the request can be found under a different URL. The new URL is not a substitute reference for the originally requested resource.|
|304 (Redirect) Not Modified||If the client (web browser) has performed a conditional GET request and access is allowed, but the document has not been modified.|
|305 (Redirect) Use Proxy||The requested resource must be accessed through the proxy given by the location field.|
|399 Authentication Challenge Failed||A HTTP 399 error code is a reclassification of Basic (401) or Proxy (407) authentication issue when executing the test. As authentication issues are typically scripting issues, the Browser Engine reclassifies these errors as a 399 return code. The error description may also be "399 Authentication error".|
|14001 Byte Limit Exceeded||The attempt to download the object was blocked because the reported size of the object was greater than the current limit. The default byte limits are 10 MB per page and 15 MB per test.|
|15001 User script processing failed||The required elements for the next user script action were not available on the page. This is typically a CSS locator.|
|16050 IPv4 Address found, IPv6 expected||The transaction failed because an object or page was found on an IPv4 address when an IPv6 network was expected.|
|16051 IPv6 Address found, IPv4 Expected||The transaction failed because an object or page was found on an IPV6 address when an IPv4 network was expected.|
|19999 Unknown connection error||The connection failed for an unknown reason.|
|30002 Excessive number of redirects||An object request had more than 10 redirects.|
|30003 HTML parsing error||The page contains an illegal character, mismatched element end-tags, or other HTML error.|
|30005 An unsupported SSL version was used||The Browser Agent does not support the version of SSL that was used.|
|100501 Insecure response||This error usually occurs as a result of an unsigned certificate.|
These errors may be displayed without error codes:
- Add user certificate failure
- CA import failed - not a CA cert
- CA import failed due to some other error
- Cache Errors
- Failure to export private key
- FTP Errors
- Import failed - certificate already exists in database
- No private key error
- PKCS #12 import failed due to incorrect password
- PKCS #12 import failed due to invalid MAC
- PKCS #12 import failed due to invalid/corrupt file
- PKCS #12 import failed due to other error.
- PKCS #12 import failed due to unsupported features
- Request cancelled
- Self-signed certificate generation failed
- Server certificate import failed due to some internal error
- Server-bound certificate generation failed
- Server-bound certificate generation failed
- SMS Errors
- SPDY Errors
- SSL Error
- System related Errors
- The certificate database changed in some way
Error codes specific to the Chrome Agent
Messages for error code 15000 may include any of the following details.
|BLOCKED_BY_ADMINISTRATOR||The request was blocked by the URL blacklist configured by the domain administrator.|
|INVALID_HANDLE||The handle or file descriptor is invalid. Basically, just map the system handle error.|
|NETWORK_CHANGED||When the IP or DNS is changed in the middle of testing, this error occurs.|
|SOCKET_IS_CONNECTED||The socket is already connected. This is used for UDP and mainly maps the WSAEISCONN error code at Windows.|
|WS_THROTTLE_QUEUE_TOO_LARGE||There are too many pending WebSocketJob instances, so the new job was not pushed to the queue.|
Messages for error code 18001 may include any of the following details.
|CERT_NAME_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATION||The certificate claimed DNS names that are in violation of name constraints.|
|CT_NO_SCTS_VERIFIED_OK||Certificate Transparency: All Signed Certificate Timestamps failed to verify.|
|SSL_DECRYPT_ERROR_ALERT||An SSL peer sent us a fatal decrypt_error alert. This typically occurs when a peer could not correctly verify a signature (in CertificateVerify or / ServerKeyExchange) or validate a Finished message.|
|SSL_INAPPROPRIATE_FALLBACK||The SSL server indicated that an unnecessary TLS version fallback was performed.|
|SSL_SERVER_CERT_CHANGED||The SSL server certificate changed in a renegotiation.|
|SSL_UNRECOGNIZED_NAME_ALERT||The SSL server sent a fatal unrecognized_name alert.|
Other Chrome-specific error codes
- 10061 TOO_MANY_SOCKET_STREAMS
- 12013 DNS_SORT_ERROR
- 15200 QUIC_HANDSHAKE_FAILED
- 15200 QUIC_PROTOCOL_ERROR
- 15200 REQUEST_FOR_SECURE_RESOURCE_OVER_INSECURE_QUIC
- 15200 RESPONSE_HEADERS_TRUNCATED
- 15300 CACHE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH
- 15300 CACHE_CHECKSUM_READ_FAILURE
- 100713 CERT_DATABASE_CHANGED
- 100714 SELF_SIGNED_CERT_GENERATION_FAILED
Error codes specific to the Mobile Agent
These Mobile errors are included in the Other errors category.
- -1 Unspecified Error
- 1 Playback Timed Out
- 2 Unspecified Error
- 3 Unspecified Error
- 4 Unspecified Error
- 5 Unspecified Error
- 6 Unspecified Error
- 7 Unspecified Error
- 8 Unspecified Error
- 9 Unspecified Error
- 10 Unspecified Error
- 11 Unspecified Error
- 12 Unspecified Error
- 13 Navigation to Next Page Failed
- 14 Text-matching or VBA Test Failure
- 15 Window not Found
- 16 Unspecified Error
- 17 Unspecified Error
- 18 Unspecified Error
- 19 Text Matching Test Failed
- 20 Server Response Test Failed
- 21 Scriptlet Test Failed
- 22 VBA Test Failed
- 306 (Redirect) (Unused)
- 398 Retrying failed request attempt
- 997 Unspecified Error
- 998 Unspecified Error
- 20001 Expected color not found
- 20002 Expected text not found
- 20003 Expected window not found
- 20004 Expected image not found
- 20005 Page request did not complete
- 20006 Date comparison failed
- 20007 Text not recognized
- 20009 Step time exceeded threshold
- 20010 Script alert issued
- 20012 Step did not run
- 20099 Internal error
- 31000 Test Timeout Exceeded
- 50000 - DNS Lookup Failure
- 50001 - Media Connection Error
- 50002 - Invalid Media Url
- 50003 - Media Playback Error
- 50004 - Media Player Error
- 50005 - No Available Capacity
- 50006 - Play Stage Not Reached Error
- 50007 - Client Side Error
- 39999 A General (UNKNOWN) Error Occurred
- 90001 Mobile connection failed
- 90101 SMS Send Error
- 90102 SMS Receive Timeout
- 90103 SMS Send Error - Invalid SMS number
- 90104 SMS Send Error - Baseline mode is used
- 90105 SMS Send Error - SMS mode is disabled in the configuration file
- 90106 SMS Receive Error - Baseline mode is used
- 90107 SMS Receive Error - SMS mode is disabled in the configuration file
- 90108 Sending international SMS is forbidden
- 90109 SMS Received Error - Content match test failed
- 99001 The modem is not connected or a wrong modem is connected
- 99002 The SIM card is not inserted into modem
- 99003 Modem problem - Caused by a wrong configuration parameter
- 99004 Modem SIM card is full
- 99005 Modem reset - Caused by consecutive SMS timeouts
- 99099 Modem Unknown Error
Error codes specific to Availability tests
The error codes listed below that are greater than 999 are specific to Availability tests.
- 400 to 999 – HTTP status error codes.
- 1000 to 1999 – Validation failed.
- 1010 – Content validation failed. The content of a test did not meet a validation rule configured for the test.
- 1011 – Time validation failed. A test took longer than the configured threshold, or longer than the built-in timeout of 30 seconds.
- 1012 – Size validation failed. A test was larger (downloaded more bytes) than it should be.
- 2000+ – Reviewing the error message may help resolve the issue; otherwise, contact Support and provide the error number in your help request.
- 2001 – The URL you passed used a protocol that is not supported.
- 2002 – Very early initialization code failed. This is likely to be an internal error or problem, or a resource problem where something fundamental couldn't get done at
- 2003 – The URL wasn't properly formatted.
- 2004 – A requested feature, protocol, or option was not found.
- 2005 – Couldn't resolve proxy. The given proxy host could not be resolved.
- 2006 – Couldn't resolve host. The given remote host was not resolved.
- 2007 – Failed to
connect()to host or proxy.
- 2008 – The server sent data that the engine couldn't parse.
- 2009 – We were denied access to the resource given in the URL. For FTP, this occurs while trying to change to the remote directory.
- 2010 – While waiting for the server to connect back when an active FTP session is used, an error code was sent over the control connection or similar.
- 2011 – After having sent the FTP password to the server,
libcurlexpects a proper reply. This error code indicates that an unexpected code was returned.
- 2012 – During an active FTP session while waiting for the server to connect, the timeout expired.
- 2013 – The engine failed to get a sensible result back from the server as a response to either a
EPSVcommand. The server is flawed.
- 2014 – FTP servers return a 227-line as a response to a
libcurlfails to parse that line, this return code is passed back.
- 2015 – An internal failure to look up the host used for the new connection occurred.
- 2016 – A problem was detected in the HTTP2 framing layer. This is somewhat generic and can be one of several problems. See the error buffer for details.
- 2017 – Received an error when trying to set the transfer mode to binary or ASCII.
- 2018 – A file transfer was shorter or larger than expected. This happens when the server first reports an expected transfer size, and then delivers data that doesn't match the previously given size.
- 2019 – This was either a weird reply to a
RETRcommand or a zero byte transfer complete.
- 2021 – When sending custom
"QUOTE"commands to the remote server, one of the commands returned an error code that was 400 or higher (for FTP), or that otherwise indicated unsuccessful completion of the command.
- 2023 – An error occurred when writing received data to a local file, or an error was returned to the engine from a
- 2025 – Failure when starting the upload. For FTP, the server typically denied the
STORcommand. The error buffer usually contains the server's explanation for this.
- 2026 – There was a problem reading a local file or an error returned by the
- 2027 – A memory allocation request failed.
- 2028 – Operation timeout. The specified timeout period was reached according to the conditions.
- 2030 – The FTP
PORTcommand returned error.
- 2031 – The FTP
RESTcommand returned error. This should never happen if the server is sane.
- 2033 – The server does not support or accept range requests.
- 2034 – This is an odd error that mainly occurs because of internal confusion.
- 2035 – A problem occurred somewhere in the SSL/TLS handshake. Check the error buffer and read the message there; it should pinpoint the problem slightly more. It could be certificates (file formats, paths, permissions), passwords, or other.
- 2036 – The download could not be resumed because the specified offset was out of the file boundary.
- 2037 – A file given with
FILE://couldn't be opened. Most likely this is because the file path doesn't identify an existing file. Check file permissions.
- 2038 – LDAP cannot bind. The LDAP bind operation failed.
- 2039 – LDAP search failed.
- 2041 – Function not found. A required
zlibfunction was not found.
- 2042 – Aborted by callback. A callback returned "abort".
- 2043 – Internal error. A function was called with a bad parameter.
- 2045 – Interface error. A specified outgoing interface could not be used.
- 2047 – Too many redirects. When following redirects, the engine hit the maximum amount.
- 2048 – An option passed to the engine is not recognized/known. Contact Support for assistance.
- 2049 – A telnet option string was illegally formatted.
- 2051 – The remote server's SSL certificate or SSH md5 fingerprint was deemed not OK.
- 2052 – Nothing was returned from the server, and under the circumstances, getting nothing is considered an error.
- 2053 – The specified crypto engine wasn't found.
- 2054 – Failed setting the selected SSL crypto engine as default.
- 2055 – Failed sending network data.
- 2056 – Failed receiving network data.
- 2058 – Problem with the local client certificate.
- 2059 – Couldn't use specified cipher.
- 2060 – Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with known CA certificates.
- 2061 – Unrecognized transfer encoding.
- 2062 – Invalid LDAP URL.
- 2063 – Maximum file size exceeded.
- 2064 – Requested FTP SSL level failed.
- 2065 – When doing a send operation, cURL had to rewind the data to retransmit, but the rewinding operation failed.
- 2066 – Initiating the SSL engine failed.
- 2067 – The remote server denied
- 2068 – File not found on TFTP server.
- 2069 – Permission problem on TFTP server.
- 2070 – Out of disk space on the server.
- 2071 – Illegal TFTP operation.
- 2072 – Unknown TFTP transfer ID.
- 2073 – File already exists and will not be overwritten.
- 2074 – This error should never be returned by a properly functioning TFTP server.
- 2075 – Character conversion failed.
- 2076 – Caller must register conversion callbacks.
- 2077 – Problem with reading the SSL CA certificate (possible path or access rights).
- 2078 – The resource referenced in the URL does not exist.
- 2079 – An unspecified error occurred during the SSH session.
- 2080 – Failed to shut down the SSL connection.
- 2081 – Socket is not ready for send/receive. Wait until it's ready and try again.
- 2082 – Failed to load CRL file.
- 2083 – Issuer check failed.
- 2084 – The FTP server does not understand the
PRETcommand at all or does not support the given argument.
- 2085 – Mismatch of RTSP CSeq numbers.
- 2086 – Mismatch of RTSP Session Identifiers.
- 2087 – Unable to parse FTP file list (during FTP wildcard downloading).
- 2088 – Chunk callback reported error.
- 2090 – Failed to match the pinned key specified
- 2091 – Status returned failure when asked.
- 2092 – Stream error in the HTTP/2 framing layer.
- 2093 – An API function was called from inside a callback.