To use Screen Capture on Error or Screen Capture on Success, enable the option in the test settings.
When screen captures are generated for a test, the screen captures are available through these Dynatrace Portal pages:
- Interactive charts – In the data table below the interactive chart, click the screen capture icon in the Action column.
- Error analysis – In the Error list opened from the Error analysis page, expand an error to display the details. Click the thumbnail to display the screenshot in a popup window, or click View screen capture to open the Screen Capture page.
- Raw scatter – Either click a data point and select Screen Capture in the popup window, or click Screen Capture for a test execution in the Details table.
- Waterfall summary – Click View screen capture at the top of the page.
- Waterfall chart – Click View screen capture above the waterfall.
The Screen Capture page displays Screen Capture on Error (SCoE) and Screen Capture on Success (SCoS) data from one transaction from a single location at a point in time. SCoE captures data when an availability error occurs. Screen Capture on Success, available only for Mobile tests, captures the HTML and objects for each step of a transaction that ran successfully.
The information shown on this page includes screen captures for each step that executed, source code, and HTTP header information. For specific network errors, route tracing is also provided.
The Dynatrace Portal stores this information so you can visually review the transaction as it occurred at the time the test ran. This information is useful to confirm errors or solve problems related to the availability of a web application, or to review successful Mobile transactions.
A maximum of 24 screenshots are stored for 4 days.
Viewing test information
At the top of the page, the following information appears for the selected screen capture:
- Test name.
- Date and time of this data point.
- Node for Backbone and Mobile tests; Machine ID for Private Last Mile tests.
- Error code. This field is empty for Screen Capture on Success.
- Error name. This field is empty for Screen Capture on Success.
Click View Waterfall to open the waterfall chart for the selected step.
Navigating the screen captures
You can navigate to view screen capture information for the steps of this data point or view screen captures of other data points.
The step indicators show the expected number of steps within a transaction by displaying color-coded thumbnails for each step that was expected to be accessed during the transaction.
- Green indicates the step succeeded.
- Red indicates that the step failed.
- Gray indicates that the step never ran (because the preceding step failed).
Select a red or green icon to view the information for that step:
- The selected step is outlined in blue.
- The page displays the Screen tab for the selected step.
Selecting step views
The step indicators can show thumbnails of the screen capture or as shown above, blocks of color. Use the icons, located on the right side of the page, to select the type of indicator. Click:
- to view the indicators as thumbnails. This is the default.
- to view the indicator as a color-coded icon.
Viewing screen captures for different data points
If multiple data points are available in the Screen Capture page:
- Click Previous or Next in the upper right corner of the page to scroll through the data points in this transaction.
- Select the timestamp from the Time list at the top of the page.
Search for a specific time or error type by entering a value in the Search field.
For example: If different errors are listed, enter any part of the error description to filter the list for that error. If the list includes more than one day, enter the date to see only the data points for the date.
Search results are updated dynamically as you type. Text matching the search criterion is highlighted.
Returning to the top of the page
Click the Top icon at the bottom right to return to the top of the page.
Viewing screen capture information
Click a tab below the thumbnails (or icons) to view the information for the selected step:
- Screen – The image of what the agent downloaded at the time the test ran for the selected step.
- Unaltered source code – The HTML as it was downloaded by the agent at the time the test ran.
- HTTP headers – The HTTP Request and Response header information for each object requested and received within the transaction.
- Trace Route – If a network error caused a page failure, detailed routing information.
Trace routes are executed against the first host encountered during the transaction that had a network error that caused the transaction to fail. Trace routes occur at the time of failure when the following error conditions occur:
- 10001 - Server Response Missing Status Line
- 10052 - Network Reset while trying to set timeout
- 10054 - Network Reset while trying to read from socket
- 10061 - Connection refused from java.net.ConnectException
- 11005 - Timeout connecting to socket
- 12000 - Connection timeout from java.io.InterruptedIOException: Read timed out
- 19999 - Unknown socket connection error
The reverse name lookups that convert the IP addresses to machine host names are completed at the time the SCoE is viewed within the portal using the IP addresses that were captured at the time the test ran.
Sharing SCoE or SCoS information
Click to provide a public link to this information.
Downloading SCoE or SCoS information
Click to download the information shown on this page to a zip file.