Creating reports in the Dynatrace Portal consists of these steps:
- Choose a template.
- Define the report.
- Select the schedule and delivery options.
- Confirm the report definition.
To begin the process, click > Reports, then click Create a New Report on the Reports page.
The Create a Report page displays the list of report templates.
Choose a template
For information about the report templates, see Reports.
To preview a report, click View in the Action column for the report. (A preview image may not be available if the selected report is new to the Portal. You can view or download sample reports from the Reports help page.)
Select the template and click Continue to go to the Define Your Report page.
Define the report
The template you selected determines the fields that appear on the Define Your Report page. All possible fields are described below.
Select the values as described below and click Continue. The Select Scheduling and Delivery page appears.
Enter a name for this report.
The name of the template selected appears here.
Optionally, use this field to enter information about the report for your end users. This information will appear in the header of the report.
This description can contain up to a maximum of 256 characters.
Reporting time frame
From the list, select how frequently this report will be generated. Options vary by report; some reports automatically use a defined time frame.
Possible choices are:
- Yesterday – Previous day's data.
- Week-to-Date – Data from Monday to today.
- Month-to-Date – Data from the 1st of the month to today.
- Last Month – Previous month's data.
- Last Week – Data from Sunday through Saturday.
The settings available here depend on whether the report is specific for a type of test.
- Test type-specific reports – For reports that are specific for a type of test, the test selection is by test type only and the following link appears: Select a <TestType> Test. Click the link link to open the Select Tests window, which lists the <TestType> tests you can select for this report.
- Non-test type specific reports – Select tests or steps in a test by selecting one of these options:
- Specify Tests – Click Edit Test List to open the Select Tests window to select the tests for this report.
- Specify Steps – Click Edit Step List to open the Select Tests window to select the steps for this report
- By Test Type – All the tests of the selected test type(s) are included in this report.
- All – All tests are included in this report.
The number of tests/steps that can be selected varies by report. Generally, the report templates that provide a lot of data about test results support fewer tests. For more information, see Reports.
To select benchmarks:
- Select a benchmark group from the list.
- A list of benchmark tests appears; select a test from the list.
- Click Select a Test to open the Select Tests window to select the tests for this report.
Clicking Select Charts to display the Select Charts window. This window displays your charts and all shared charts in your account and displays the following information:
- Chart name
- Type – The icon indicates Synthetic tests.
- Chart Type
- Chart Creator
- Modification Date
In the Select Charts window:
- Select one chart.
- Click OK.
Some reports compare test results to thresholds specified by you. If the Thresholds field appears, enter the Warning and Severe thresholds for Response Time (in seconds) and for Availability (in percentage).
Select the schedule and delivery options
Complete the fields as follows:
Formats – Select the format for this report.
All reports can be created in PDF or Excel format, with the exception of the Saved Chart report, which can be HTML or PDF.
If you are creating a Saved Chart report, after you select the format, select whether the report should include the chart graphic or the data table.
Schedule this report to run – Select the delivery schedule for this report:
- Now – Select this option to run the report only once. The report runs a few minutes after you confirm your report settings.
- Daily – Select from the list the time of day (hour) to run the report.
- Weekly – Select the day(s) of the week to run the report and the time of day (hour) to run the report.
- Monthly – Select to run the report on the first or last day of the month and select the time (hour) to run the report.
If you schedule a daily report to run at a time period that is earlier than the current time, the report will run and be sent immediately. For example, scheduling a daily report to run at 4pm when the current time is 5pm results in the report running immediately.
If you create or edit a weekly report after the scheduled time on the day it's scheduled to be sent, the report will run and be sent immediately after you create or edit it. For example, if a report is scheduled to run every Monday at 8:00 and you edit the report on Monday at 12:00, the report will run immediately and will be sent out.
Report Expiration – These fields appears when you select any schedule option except Now. Select a start and end date for this report. The end date must be at least two days (48 hours) later than the start date.
By default, the report will expire one year after it is created: all existing reports and configuration data are permanently deleted when a report expires. The minimum expiration period is one report period. For example, if the report is scheduled to run weekly, the minimum expiration period is one week after the start date of the report.
The Dynatrace Portal notifies you before deleting an expired report: seven days prior to the expiration date, the report owner (the user who created the report) receives an email message that the report will expire. A warning icon appears in the Manage Reports section of the Reports page (as described above).
This option is not available if you select Now for the schedule of this report.
Deliver report via email – Optionally, edit the subject line for the email and an email address for each recipient.
- Email addresses must include an @ in them.
- Separate multiple email addresses with semicolons.
- If no email addresses are entered, view the report by selecting it in the Manage Reports table on the Reports page.
Reports are delivered from email@example.com.
Click Continue to go to the Confirm Your Report Definition page.
Confirm the report definition
The Confirm Your Report Definition page lists the report name, delivery schedule, format, expiration date, and recipients' email addresses.
If you need to review or change any report settings, click Go Back.
Click Done to confirm the settings and generate the report.
The new report is added to the Manage Reports list. Select the report to see the settings summary and the delivery history.