The report server installation program will detect any older version and offer to upgrade it to the current release. Optionally, the upgrade preserves the configuration information and traffic monitoring data contained in the report server database.
To upgrade an earlier version of the report server to the latest version, fulfill the prerequisites described below, and then run the installer for the latest version of the report server. The installer will detect the earlier software and display your upgrade options.
Planning and preparation
Read the upgrade guidelines for essential planning information:
- The general order of upgrade activities is important. For example, you must upgrade the console before installing the report server.
- Hardware requirements and recommendations.
- Licensing requirements, including third-party licensing. You need licenses for Microsoft Windows Server and Microsoft SQL Server hosting the report server software and database. You need to make decisions related to SQL Server licensing in particular.
- Network preparation.
When you run the installer, have the Internal API token or console administrator credentials handy. The installer will prompt you for an API token or for console administrator credentials so it can retrieve a token automatically. See API tokens for more information.
Back up the database. See Backing up Microsoft SQL Server databases.
Upgrading farm deployments
Components in deployments utilizing the farm-cluster method should be upgraded to the same release version in a particular order.
If you are creating a failover report server installation, do not use this procedure. Instead, apply report server installation procedure (Install the report server), add the report server to the cluster and assign to it the failover role (Configuring a failover node).
Moving the report server to a new machine
To migrate the report server from one platform to another, including the local database:
- Make backups of your databases and configurations from your old machine.
- Install the software on the new machine.
- Restore your databases and configurations on the new machine.
- Migrating report server to a new platform (Local Database)
- Migrating report server to a new platform (Remote Database).
Upgrading CAS or ADS from 12.4 to 2017
To upgrade CAS or ADS from 12.4 to 2017, see Upgrading CAS or ADS from 12.4 to 2017.
Upgrading CAS 2017 to NAM Server 2018
To upgrade from CAS 2017 to NAM Server 2018, see Upgrading CAS 2017 to NAM Server 2018.
Upgrading NAM Server 2018 to NAM Server 2019
To upgrade from NAM Server 2018 to NAM Server 2019, see Upgrading NAM Server 2018 to NAM Server 2019.