Monitoring ► Software services
Use the Software services screen in the NAM Console to view and edit the software service definitions and software service rules.
If you're new to software services, read Software services for beginners.
- Click the dashboard icon at the top of the NAM Console screen
and click the Software services tile
- Open the NAM Console menu
and select Monitoring ► Software services
If you select a software service in the table, Configuration and Deployment boxes for the selected service are displayed below the list.
A software service is a service implemented by a specific piece of software, offered on a TCP or UDP port of one or more servers, and identified by a particular TCP port number. Software services are identified on reports by assigned names.
These directions apply to all of the software services, whether they were created with the wizard or created manually in the NAM Console. Note, however, that you must manually change settings such as URL auto-learning, custom metrics, and character encoding.
For full details on configuring software services on the NAM Probe, see NAM Probe Configuration - Software Services.
Adding a software service definition
To add a software service.
- Open the Software Services screen.
- Click the Add software service button.
- The Add software service window is displayed.
- Choose a method (see below) and click
Choose this option to monitor HTTP or HTTPS traffic (which can include SOAP or XML).
- The wizard will walk you through HTTP or HTTPS software service definition step by step.
- You can capture a traffic trace from within the wizard to help you verify your configuration and create rules to extract the reported elements and user names.
See Adding a software service with the wizard for details.
Using packaged applications
Choose this option to monitor SAP, Siebel, Microsoft Exchange 2013, or Oracle e-Business Suite traffic.
- With this option, you will apply simple configuration and reporting templates for monitoring one of the listed traffic types.
- You will need to provide a traffic trace (or capture one using the wizard) to complete the configuration.
See Adding a software service using a packaged application for details.
Choose this option if the other options do not meet your needs and you are an experienced product user.
- This option opens the Add Software Service screen, where you can manually define a software service.
See Adding a software service manually for details.
Editing a software service definition
To provide a new name for a software service:
- In the row corresponding to the selected software service, click Actions and select Rename.
- Edit the name in that row.
To monitor a software service with another device:
- Select the software service in the table.
- Click Change Assignment in the Deployment section.
The Assign NAM Probes to the Software Service window is displayed.
- Use the > and < controls to move NAM Probes between the Unassigned NAM Probes list and the NAM Probes that monitor the software service list.
Editing a software service rule
To edit a software service rule:
- In the table of software services, click the software service to select it.
The rules for the selected software service are displayed in the Configuration section under the table.
- In the Configuration section, click Actions and select an editing option.
- Edit with wizard (not available for all software services)
- Edit manually
Adding a rule to an existing software service
To add another rule to the existing software service:
- Select a software service definition by clicking it once. The software service rules are displayed in the Configuration section.
- In the Configuration section, click the Add Rule button.