The NAM Probe is a network traffic monitoring device attached to mirrored ports of the core switches or to network tap devices. From this vantage point, NAM Probe discovers all protocols, servers, ports, and users on the network and analyzes IP and non-IP traffic.
A single NAM Probe allows for monitoring of complex networks using one or a number of monitoring devices. NAM Probes deliver data to Network Application Monitoring report servers: each report server can read from multiple NAM Probes; one NAM Probe can feed into multiple report servers. Report servers can also support redundant/fail-over NAM Probes.
The NAM Probe is capable of performing packet de-duplication, for packets seen on multiple interfaces of the same NAM Probe. Additional de-duplication can be performed on report servers, if multiple NAM Probes observe the same IP packets.
The NAM Probe delivers complete measurements of traffic and performance for all the applications, servers and users using the network. Measurements are performed non-intrusively, for all actual network traffic, all the time. One or a few NAM Probes can cover instrumentation of virtually any enterprise network or website.
The NAM Probe provides you with
- True application/network user recognition
- Transaction analysis (based on HTTP or XML)
- Firewall and load balancer latency analysis
- Firewall and load balancer session loss analysis
- Network performance monitoring
- Application traffic monitoring
- Decryption and analysis of encrypted traffic
- Analysis of a large number of protocols