Applies to NAM 2018
When you install the NAM Server or NAM Console, you need to specify an IP address or hostname for internal communication between NAM components. This is a private address, for internal communication only, and does not need to be accessible to users. For example, in the NAM Server installer, Hostname or IP address is the internal (private) address of the NAM Server.
However, all users must have access both to the NAM Server's public URLs and to the NAM Console's public URLs. For example, in the NAM Server installer:
- Public HTTPS URL (such as
https://hostName:443) is the URL that all users need to access this NAM Server.
- Public HTTP URL (such
http://hostName:443) is an optional (but not recommended) HTTP public URL.
All NAM Server users access the NAM Server via that NAM Server's public URL, which is automatically redirected to the NAM Console public URL for authorization (and then, if an external IdP is configured, to the external IdP). If you cannot access the NAM Server public URL and the NAM Console public URL, you can't sign in to the NAM Server.
- An address is an IP address or fully qualified domain name (FQDN), such as
- A URL is scheme + address + port, such as
Addresses during NAM Console installation
During NAM Console installation:
- The NAM Console private connectivity screen displays the NAM Console private URL. You can change the port number if needed.
- The NAM Console public connectivity screen prompts you to enter the public URLs of the NAM Console.
- The Pre-installation summary displays the NAM Console private address and NAM Console public URL again. It's a good idea to copy and paste all the information from the summary page to a text file for easy access during NAM Server installation.
Addresses during NAM Server installation
During NAM Server installation:
- The NAM Console connection screen prompts you to enter the NAM Console private URL, which is the URL this NAM Server will use to connect to the NAM Console for internal communication. This URL was displayed on the NAM Console private connectivity and Pre-installation summary screens during NAM Console installation. It's based on the IP address or hostname of the machine on which you installed the NAM Console (for example,
- The NAM Server connectivity options screen prompts you to enter at least two addresses/URLs:
- Hostname or IP address (see the installer screen for examples) is the address that the NAM Console will use to connect to this NAM Server for internal communication. It does not need to be accessible to users. The installer screen shows addresses it detected. You can simply type an IP address or hostname, or you can click Help in the installer if you want to copy and paste one of the detected machine names from the installer help text to the Hostname or IP address box.
- Public HTTPS URL (for example,
https://hostName:443) is the URL that all users need to access this NAM Server. HTTPS Port should usually match the port in Public HTTPS URL.
- Public HTTP URL (for example,
http://hostName:443) is optional but is not recommended. HTTP is not secure. HTTP Port should usually match the port in Public HTTP URL.
- The Pre-installation summary displays the NAM Server private address, NAM Server public URL, and NAM Console private address again. It's a good idea to copy and paste all the information from the summary page to a text file for easy access if you are going to install or update further NAM components.
See also SSO network configuration requirements.