For each data view, you can select a dimension in the Dimensions list of the Data tab to be the key used to find the report data in the database.
title: Data tab postid:
There are three types of dimension list available:
- Tree view - lists all dimensions arranged in theme-related groups.
- List view - lists all dimensions alphabetically.
- Favorites - lists the most commonly used dimensions.
Use the search box to find specific dimensions by name.
To see descriptions of the dimensions, click the learn dimension and metric definitions link above the Selected dimensions table.
Selecting table orientation
If the dimension is to be shown on the report, you can choose between row and column orientation by selecting the Show as Row or Show as Column setting.
Selecting a point for the universal diagram
If your section is of the Universal Diagram type, Show as has only two options per dimension:
You must select exactly one dimension to be displayed as a Point when defining a Universal Diagram section. Only dimensions that have values in dictionaries (the icon is visible in the Filters column) can be used as data points.
You can't set more than one dimension as a data point. Other dimensions for the section can only be set as filters.
Filtering by dimension
If you set Show as to Filter for a dimension, that dimension is not shown on the report, but instead filters the results by that dimension and any expression provided in the Filters field. For example, setting a filter of
Client site would show results only where the
Client site dimension contained
- Set Filter display to determine how to show that filter on your report: in the report header, the section header, or not at all.
- Set Filter mode to specify whether and how the filter can be removed or changed during use.
See Setting a dimension filter for details on setting dimension filters.
Specifying a filter
In the Filters field, you can specify a group of exact values (such as an IP address) or use a wildcard (such as
10.123.1* to represent part of an IP address).
- If there is a limited, well-defined set of possible values for a dimension, the filter icon () is displayed for that dimension.
- Special characters must be preceded with a backslash (\).
- Use != to negate the logical value of the filter. For example:
!= Client tier
Selecting right combination of dimensions
Not all dimension combinations are supported in one section. Most of the times DMI warns if you a need to add a dimension for the report to work, but some unsupported combinations are silent. In particular, you must not use Application and the Reporting Group dimensions in the same report section as this may result in no or unreliable data in your report.
When adding dimensions and filtering criteria, think about your report performance. If you filter the report in a way that makes the NAM Server pull a very broad scope of monitoring data, expect it to affect report performance.