This page is still work in progress.
Empower your backend teams
This release provides critical data and workflows to onboard all of your development teams.
- Work with stored sessions in the AppMon Web.
- Quickly find the most consuming APIs with the Layer breakdown.
- Expensive web request are highlighted with a single click.
- Monitor important business transactions and & pin the data you need to your dashboard.
- Database insight for every team including top queries and wait states.
Share your insight with every team
- Share dashboards with dedicated users and user groups.
- Visualize configured thresholds in charts.
- Agent group, agent and host filters for web dashboards.
- Dashboard linking: Connect your dashboards to any view or URL.
- Management of web dashboards for admins.
- Tags for web dashboards.
Be confident about your shift to the cloud.
Dynatrace SaaS & Managed is built to scale with your requirements. The metric stream to Dynatrace SaaS & Managed gives you a single pane of glass for both your classic and modern, cloud based apps.
Connect all your important transactions
Follow transactions end-to-end. Across multiple AppMon servers and into Dynatrace SaaS or Managed. Our agent technology will cover the complete configuration automatically. In other words, you can use it without any manual effort to follow all key transactions.
** The agents automatically detect all involved environments. ** Drilldowns and drillups across AppMon servers and Dynatrace environments.
Everyone benefits from your insight
You love your dashboards but your time is limited to manually recreate them in the web? This release provides a simple conversion step for basic rich client dashboards. See which dashlets can be converted. Save time and adopt your teams much faster.
Be more productive.
The new AppMon Client will improve your productivity as an AppMon champion. Learn more.
- Improved performance while working on multiple AppMon servers.
- Customization with favorite dashlets and dashboards for quick access to what you need most.
- Fast navigation with new keyboard shortcuts.
- Improved management of System Profiles & Dashboards.
We scale with your business
You have the hardware and we have the proper size for you. The two new sizes (2XLarge and 3XLarge) enables you to maximize the resources in your environment without risking overload and data loss during peak usage times. A single server can now utilize up to 44 cores and 256 GB of memory. With that, your server instance can again digest more load compared to a usual XLarge server.
- Easy to deploy. No collector required.
- Unified agent stack.
- Support for .NET Core, Java9, PHP 7.1, Node.js 8.
Why your feedback matters
Based on forum suggestions and discussions, and feedback gathered at user group events and customer meetups, you steadily contribute to our common success. This release contains countless improvements, like:
- Support of single sign on authentication
- Analyse Corrupted and TimedOut Purepaths
- REST for License Assignments (Reservations)
- Changing Units for Web Dashboards Tiles
- Web dashboard administration
- Filtering hosts in web dashboards
- Showing thresholds in web dashboard charts
- Converting rich client dashboards to web dashboards
- Sharing web dashboards with specific users and groups
- Layer breakdown in WebUI
No matter your role or use case, the Getting Started guide has you covered:
- New to Dynatrace AppMon and UEM? See the Getting Started Task Overview.
- Advanced user with specific use cases? Quick links offer guidance for specific roles and use cases: developers, testers, business, operations, continuous delivery, and user experience.
- Free trial user looking for a basic install? See our Free Trial and Evaluation Guide.
- Setting up a complete installation in a live environment? See the new Installation Overview.
- Upgrading from a previous version? See our rebuilt Upgrade and Migration Guide.
Licensing redefined: Simpler, more flexible and 100% self-service
Starting with this release, the following improvements and simplifications are available:
- All-in-one: Visits and hours can be part of the license now! No need for additional volume voucher any more.
- The license file extension is now .lic instead of .key, which is often blocked by mail servers.
- If your contract is already based on perpetual agent units which aren't restricted to editions or technologies, you are candidate for our 100% licensing self-service. Please contact your CSM or sales representative if you have any questions.
This self-service approach provides many advantages, including:
- Move agent units between editions and technologies with ease!
- Create, assign, clone or terminate licenses on your own.
- Choose either a technology bound license (such as 7 x Java, 3 x .NET, or 5 x web server) or a technology independent online agent unit based license (for example, 13 agent units).
Due to the extensive list of new features and improvements in AppMon 2017 May, it's necessary that you obtain a new license to migrate from a previous version. You can upgrade an existing license on your own using our eServices license management portal. For full details, see the license upgrade documentation. If you require support or have questions, our licensing management team is happy to help you with your current license update.
Following a license upgrade, ensure that your current license is deactivated. If you're using UEM, ensure that the correct amount of UEM volume is reissued in the form of UEM vouchers.
AppMon for z/OS still uses a MIPS-based licensing model, but Compuware's License Management System (LMS) has been deprecated. Beginning with the 6.3 release, z/OS licenses are now only available through eServices. IMS and CICS regions (sub agents) need to be listed as z/OS agents. Java and native agents running on z/OS are now also licensed through the Dynatrace AppMon server.
This release contains a large number of quality improvements. Most of them are also back-ported to older versions and delivered through updates.
This release together with its latest public update contains all changes of all public updates for earlier versions.
If you are missing required changes, contact support before scheduling the upgrade to clarify and resolve.
There are currently no known issues. See also our Knowledge Base for workarounds and tips.
Dynatrace AppMon components
- Supported agent platforms and operating systems
- Oracle (Sun) JVM, IBM JVM, JRockit JVM, Azul JVM
- 10MB disk space
- Dynatrace AppMon bootstrap agent 6.x
- DB Agent supports:
- Oracle Database 11g/12c
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012/2014/2016
- MySQL 5.6/5.7
- DB2 126.96.36.199, 10.1, 10.5, 11.1
- Aurora AppMon 2018 February
The AppMon Server (backend process / Windows service / *NIX daemon) is only supported on operating systems that support Java 8. Only the included Java Runtime Edition is supported.
- Windows x64: 10/8.1/8/7/Vista or Server 2008/2012/2016 with latest service pack; installer (.msi) does not need a pre-installed JRE; package contains a private Java Runtime Edition v8.
- Linux x64: With a recent kernel version 2.6 or higher.
Installation requires a pre-installed Java Runtime Edition v8.
- LDAP: For AppMon user authentication.
- Active Directory
See the Deployment Guide for detailed hardware recommendations specific to your load.
|Deployment size1||Physical cores required2||Recommended physical memory3||Also available memory options||Recommended disk space||Available as SaaS|
5 agents | 150 transactions/sec
|2||2GB||4GB, 8GB||1.5GB + 100GB Session storage/week||No|
10 agents | 300 transactions/sec
|4||4GB||8GB, 16GB||3GB + 200GB Session storage/week||Yes|
250 agents | 1,500 transactions/sec
|8||8GB||16GB, 32GB||5GB + 1TB Session storage/week|
750 agents | 3,500 transactions/sec
|16||16GB||32GB, 64GB||10GB + 2TB Session storage/week||Yes|
1,600 agents | 5,000 transactions/sec
|24||32GB||-||20GB + >2TB Session storage/week||No|
1,800 agents | 5,800 transactions/sec
|24||64GB||-||20GB + >2TB Session storage/week||No|
2,000 agents | 6,500 transactions/sec
|24||96GB||-||20GB + >2TB Session storage/week||No|
1 The maximum agent numbers consider a typical combination of different agents types such as Java, .NET, host, WebServer, and PHP.
In special circumstances, significantly more agents are supported. These are usually host agents. Contact support for guidance and confirmation.
2 No virtual cores (Hyper-Threading), for Medium and higher, a clock speed of 2.6 GHz or higher is required.
3 Required memory for the AppMon Server and operating system. If there are other processes running, then additional heap is required.
To improve performance, AppMon always uses the maximum available CPU and memory resources.
If you have more CPU cores or memory than required for the selected size, then AppMon uses them as well.
All previously listed deployment sizes may be deployed on a virtual machine. However, you must consider the following:
- No over-commitment of resources (CPU, memory, network, disk) and no virtual-only resources that are not backed by dedicated physical resources.
- Large and XLarge only. VM is equivalent to a physical box in all performance metrics. For more details see Guidelines for running AppMon in VMWare.
- XLarge only. Database partitioning is mandatory.
- Windows: x86/x64 10/8.1/8/7/Vista or Server 2008/2012/2016 with latest service pack
- Linux: x86/x64 with a recent kernel version 2.6 or higher
- Solaris: SPARC or x86/x64 10/11/11.1/11.2/11.3
- AIX: Power 7.1/7.2
- zOS Unix: 2.1/2.2
- zOS z/Linux: SLES 11/12 & RHEL 6.6/6.7/7.0/7.1/7.2
Compatible JVMs for Collector runtime: Oracle (Sun) JVM 1.8+ (included with Windows and Linux installers), IBM JVM 1.8+.
|Deployment Size||Recommended Disk Space||Required Memory1||Physical Cores2|
100 Java / 25 .NET Agents
200 Java / 100 .NET Agents
400 Java / 250 .NET Agents
1 Required memory for the Collector. If there are other processes running, then additional heap is required.
2 No virtual cores (Hyper-Threading).
3 Small = Default shipped Collector size
- 500MB disk space
- 2GB memory
- Minimum screen resolution: 1024x768px
- The Java Webstart Client can be started with any Webstart compatible browser.
- Internet Explorer 8/9/10/11 and Firefox 38-48 are certified by AppMon.
- The Java Webstart Client requires a Oracle JRE 1.8.0_45 or later.
- OS versions:
- Windows x64: 10/8.1/8/7/Vista or Server 2008/2012 with latest service pack (certified). A private JRE 1.8 for runtime is included.
- Linux x64: SUSE / RedHat Linux with GTK (certified)
The Linux Client package requires a JRE 1.6 or later for installation. A private JRE 1.8 for runtime is included.
- Mac: OS X 10.8/10.9/10.10/10.11 64-bit (supported). An Oracle JRE 1.8 update 121 or higher is required (no private JRE is included).
AppMon Web is built for viewing on tablet devices and desktop machines that have a minimum browser resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. For example, iPad mini physical resolution 2048 x 1536 versus browser resolution 1024 x 768. More details for your device can be found here.
AppMon Web is supported and tested with the following browsers:
- Edge 14+
- Firefox 50+
- Chrome 55+
- Safari 10+
Drilldowns to the AppMon Client require a running AppMon Client. See the AppMon Client requirements for more details.
AppMon Performance Warehouse
The AppMon Performance Warehouse uses a relational database to store long-term historical data. By default, AppMon installs and uses an embedded database for demo/testing purposes. Any production installation of AppMon must use one of the following database management systems with the specified version to host the Performance Warehouse database:
- Oracle 10g/11g/12c
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 / 2012 / 2014 / 2016
- IBM DB2 Version 9.7 / 9.8 / 10.1 / 10.5 / 11.1
- PostgreSQL 9.2 / 9.3 / 9.4 / 9.5 / 9.6
AppMon supports partitioned tables for high-load scenarios for all supported databases. For all AppMon installations greater than Large, a partitioned database is mandatory. You can find more details in Performance Warehouse Partitioning for Dynatrace.
To determine disk-space requirements for the AppMon repository upfront, factor 15GB per 1,000 persistent measures (of all system profiles within the AppMon repository). You can find more details in the Deployment Guide.
AppMon zRemote Agent
The zRemote Agent is supported on the following operating systems:
Windows x64 2008 R2 / 2012 R2
Application environments and technologies
For third-party software, AppMon follows the End of Life (EOL) timelines announced by respective software vendors related to specific platform and version support. This means that AppMon announces EOL for support of specific platforms and versions once the respective software vendors announce EOL.
Supported Java virtual machines1
|Operating system||Oracle JVM 8/7/6||IBM JVM 8/7/6||Oracle JRockit 6||SAP JVM 6.0/6.12,5||SAP JVM 7/8||OpenJDK JVM 7.0u55+||Azul Zulu JVM2 6/7/8 64-bit||Azul Zing JVM2 6/7/8|
1 Only bytecode created by the Java Programming Language Compilers (javac) from supported JVM vendors.
2 64-bit only.
3 x86 and x64 architecture.
4 PPC 32 and 64-bit.
5 Only SAP Java Server VM 6.1.038 1.6-b04 on Windows and SAP Java Server VM 6.1.018 / 6.1.034 19.1-b02 on Linux.
Supported .NET Platforms
|Operating system||.NET 3.51||.NET 4.01||.NET 4.51||.NET 4.61||.NET 4.71||.NET Core 1.01,2||.NET Core 1.11,2|
1 32 and 64-bit.
2 Not available on Classic Agent
Supported web servers for UEM
|Operating system||Apache Web Server 2.2/2.4||Microsoft IIS 7/7.5/8/8.5/10||IBM HTTP Server (IHS) 7/8/8.5||IBM HTTP Server (IHS) 9||Oracle HTTP Server 11/12||NGINX 1.4.7+|
1 x86 and x64 only.
2 Solaris SPARC only.
3 The NGINX agent is only available for builds where the debug symbols are available.
4 Apache Web Server 2.2 only.
5 Not available on Classic Agent.
Supported PHP versions
|Operating system||PHP 5.3||PHP 5.4||PHP 5.5||PHP 5.6||PHP 7.0||PHP 7.1 5|
1 mod_php (for Apache Web Server) and PHP CGI (for IIS).
2 PHP FPM (fast process manager; for Nginx)
3 PHP threaded MPM is not supported as it is not production setup safe. (reason: PHP_TS)
4 Not available on Classic Agent 5 As of 7.0.3
Supported Node.js environments
|Operating system||Node.js 4.x||Node.js 5.x||Node.js 6.x||Node.js 7.x||Node.js 8.x|
|Linux||AppMon 7.0.3 and later|
|Windows||AppMon 7.0.3 and later|
- http, https, Connect, Express, Restify
- Code-level visibility, memory metrics, CPU metrics
Supported Virtualization Monitoring
|Operating system||vSphere 4.0||vSphere 4.1||vSphere 5.0||vSphere 5.1||vSphere 5.5||vSphere 6.0||vSphere 6.5|
Other supported application environments and technologies
Servlet containers & application servers
J2EE 6/7/8 compliant app servers
|WebSphere Application Server||7/8/8.5.51||Certified|
|WebSphere Application Server||92||Supported|
|WebSphere Liberty profile||188.8.131.52 - 184.108.40.206||Certified|
|WebLogic Application Server||11g/12||Certified|
|JBoss AS CE||6.0.0/7.1.13||Certified|
|SAP NetWeaver||7.3 AS Java||Certified|
|Fujitsu Interstage||114||Limited support|
|Glassfish||3.1/4 Open Source||Certified|
|Virgo/SpringSource dm Server||2.x||Supported|
1 only IBM JVM 7 on Windows, Linux & AIX
2 only IBM JVM 8 on Windows, Linux & AIX
3 not all JMX measures available
4 only Fujitsu JVM 6/7 64-bit
|WebMethods Broker & Integration Server||9/9.5 - 9.10||Certified|
|Sun Java Web Server||6.1||Certified|
|MS COM+ Component Services for .NET||Supported|
|other/proprietary Java/.NET Servers||Limited support|
1 Not available on Classic Agent.
Databases, connection pools, and big-data solutions
For DB Agents go to Agent section
|Microsoft SQL Server1,2||2008/2012/2014/2016||Certified|
|generic support is available for ADO.NET data providers||Limited support|
|generic support is available for any Type4 JDBC driver||Limited support|
1 JDBC Type4 drivers
2 ADO.NET data providers
|WebSphere Connection Pool||7 - 8.5.5||Certified|
|WebSphere Connection Pool||9||Supported|
|WebLogic Connection Pool||10-12.1||Certified|
|JBoss Connection Pool||5.x-8.0||Certified|
|Tomcat Connection Pool||1.0.6 - 1.1.0||Certified|
|c3p0||0.8.5 - 0.9.5.0||Certified|
|generic support is available for all J2EE connection pools||Limited support|
NoSQL & big-data solutions
|Cassandra||1.2.x1, 2.0.11, 2.1.131, 3.0.31, 3.3.01, 3.4.01, 3.7.01||Certified|
|MongoDB Server Versions||2.0.x, 2.2.x, 2.4.x, 2.6.x,3.02||Certified|
1 Java Thrift based Clients (Hector 1.0/1.1, Astyanax 1.x) and Datastax 1.0.2/2.1.0 - 2.1.3, 2.1.5-2.19, 3.0.0, 3.0.2
2 Java drivers only, v. 2.3 - 2.13.x/3.0.0-3.0.2
Platforms and operating systems
On latest patch/service pack level
|Windows1 Server||2008 R2 > 64 logical processors||Limited support|
|Suse Linux Enterprise Server1||11/12||Certified|
|RedHat Enterprise Linux AS1||6.7/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3||Certified|
|RedHat Enterprise Linux AS Big Endian2||6.7/7.0/7.1/7.2/7.3||Certified|
1 x86 and x64
2 7 and 8 architectures
3 Solaris SPARC
4 No host agent or health information available
ESBs and SOA
|IBM WebSphere Message Broker||81||Certified|
|IBM Integration Bus1||9/10||Certified|
|Oracle Service Bus||10.3.4 / 12c (12.1.3)||Certified|
|Mule||3.0 - 3.8||Certified|
|TIBCO ActiveMatrix BusinessWorks Service Engine||5.8.2/5.9/5.10||Certified|
|SOA Software Service Manager 5.2/6.1||Limited support|
1 On AIX, Windows & Linux 64-bit
2 HTTP communication only
|RMI / IIOP||Certified|
|RMI / JRMP||Certified|
|RMI / T3||Certified|
|ORMI (OC4J 10g R3)||Certified|
|MS Service Fabric Remoting||Certified|
|IBM WebSphere MQ||7/8||Certified|
|Apache Active MQ||5.x||Certified|
|RabbitMQ2 Java & .NET||3.5.x/3.6.x||Certified|
|TIBCO Rendezvous||8.3.2 - 8.4.3||Certified|
1 On Glassfish 4 and WildFly 8
2 Client only
3 Only for JMS 1.1
- Place JMS sensor on sender and receiver
- No agent needed on TIBCO EMS itself
Web Service Stacks
|AXIS2||1.3 / 1.4 / 1.5 / 1.6||Certified|
|Apache Wink||1.2.0 - 1.4.0||Certified|
|Restlet||2.1.0 - 2.3.7||Certified|
|RestEasy||2.3.5 - 3.0.19||Certified|
|Spring Web Services||2.0||Certified|
1 Java only, no Scala support
|JDK Http API||Certified|
|Jetty Http Client||8/9||Certified|
|NING Http Client||1.6.x / 1.7x / 2.x||Certified|
|Java Logging API||Certified|
AJAX frameworks for UEM
|dojo||1.6.1 ‐ 1.12.21||Supported|
|extjs||3.4.0 ‐ 6.2.01 2||Supported|
|icefaces||2 & 31||Supported|
|jquery||1.3 ‐ 1.12.4, 2.0 - 2.4 & 3.0-3.21||Supported|
|prototype||1.6.0 ‐ 1.7.31||Supported|
|angular||1.0 ‐ 1.5.8, 2.0.01||Supported|
|mootools||1.4.5 ‐ 1.6.01||Supported|
2 In certain cases the JS agent does not capture the correct end time for extjs 6 user actions if the promise API is used.
The following frameworks are covered with the basic XHR detection:
The following frameworks are covered with the jQuery sensor:
Browser support for UEM
|Internet Explorer||8, 9, 10||Limited support|
|Firefox1||3.5 - 27||Limited support|
|Embedded Browser||Limited support|
1 only load actions, no special frameworks.
|Android Webkit||2.3 - 3.x||Limited support|
|Internet Explorer Mobile||Supported|
W3C resource timing support
|Internet Explorer Mobile||10+||Supported|
Supported OS for mobile
|Apple iOS||6 - 10||Certified|
|Android||2.3 - 7||Certified|
|KonyOne on Android||Supported|
|OkHttp||3 (and OkHttp 3 based libraries like Retrofit 2)1||Supported|
|RxCocoa, RxSwift||Not Supported|
1 Supported for Android Auto Instrumentation.
2 not compatible with TamperDetection
|z/OS||2.1 / 2.2||Certified|
|CICS Transaction Server||4.2 / 5.1 / 5.2 / 5.3 / 5.4||Certified|
|CICS Transaction Gateway1, 2||9.0 / 9.1 / 9.2||Certified|
|CICS SOAP over HTTP||Certified|
|CICS MQ Bridge3||Certified|
|IMS||13 / 14 / 15||Certified|
|IMS MQ Bridge4||Certified|
|IMS MQ Trigger Monitor||Certified|
|IMS Shared Queues||Certified|
|IMS Soap Gateway4||3.2||Certified|
|IMS Enterprise Suite4||3.2||Certified|
|IMS Connect API4||3.2||Certified|
|IMS TM Resource Adapter||13 / 14 / 15||Certified|
1 EXCI and IPIC protocols (TCPIP and SNA protocols not supported)
2 WAS local mode configuration on CTG for Multiplatforms (not supported on z/OS)
3 Requires CTS 4.2 or later
4 Inbound only
Releases that are expected to work but are no longer supported by IBM
|z/OS||1.12 / 1.13||Limited support|
|IMS||11 / 12||Limited support|
|DB2||9 / 10||Limited support|
|CICS TransactionGateway1||8.0 /8.1||Limited support|
|IBM WebSphere MQ||7.0.1||Limited support|
|IBM IMS Soap Gateway2||2.2 / 3.1||Limited support|
|IBM IMS Connect API2||2.2 / 3.1||Limited support|
1 CTG for zOS: EXCI and IPIC CTG for Multiplatforms: IPIC (no support for TCPIP or SNA) CTG local mode: IPIC (no support for EXCI on z/OS)
2 Inbound only
End of Life policy
Dynatrace is fully supporting new AppMon versions for 18 months. 6 month extended support for critical production issues is available as part of the premium support offering. To better facilitate planning for updates and migrations the End of Life dates are now announced together with release dates.
Support level and end of life overview
|Product version||Release date||Support status||Full support until||Limited support1 until|
|7.0||May 31, 2017||November 30, 2018||Jun 1, 2019|
|6.5||September 26, 2016||March 30, 2018||September 30, 2018|
|6.3||February 29, 2016||August 31,2017||February 28, 2018|
|6.2||June 29, 2015||December 31, 2016||June 30, 2017|
|6.1||December 9, 2014||February 28, 2017|
|6||July 17, 2014||October 31, 2015|
|5.6||January 15, 2014||June 1st, 2017|
|5.5 and earlier|
1 Premium support required (severe production problems of monitored applications only)
Platform support changes
The Dynatrace AppMon 2017 May release discontinues support for the following platforms and components:
- Dynatrace Client 32-bit (including Webstart Client)
- Apache Cassandra 1.0/1.1 (EoL by Apache)
- Apache Active MQ 4.x (EoL by Apache)
- Apache HTTP Server 2.0 (EoL by Apache)
- Apache Tomcat 5.x (EoL by Apache)
- IBM AIX 6.1 (EoL by IBM Apr 30, 2017)
- IBM HTTP Server 6 (based on Apache HTTP Server 2)
- IBM WebSphere Message Broker 7 (EoL by IBM Sep 30, 2015)
- IBM WebSphere MQ 6 (EoL by IBM Sep 30, 2012)
- IBM zLinux RHEL 5.11 (EoL by RedHat Mar 31,2017)
- IBM zLinux SLES 10 (EoL by Suse Jul 31, 2016)
- IBM zOS 1.13 (EoL by IBM Sep 30, 2016)
- Mulesoft Mule 1.x and 2.x (EoL by Mule)
- Node.js 0.10/0.12
- Oracle Application Server 9i, 10g (EoL by Oracle Dec 2009)
- Oracle HTTP Server 10 (based on Apache HTTP Server 2)
- Oracle Weblogic Application Server 10 (JVM 5, EoL by Oracle May 31, 2015)
- Pivotal RabbitMQ 3.3 and 3.4 (EoD by Pivotal Feb 11th 2015)
- PostgreSQL 9.1 (EoL by Postgre Sep 2016)
- RedHat 5.11 (EoL by RedHat Mar 31,2017)
- RedHat 6.6 (EoL by RedHat Oct 31, 2016)
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (EoL by Suse Jul 31, 2016)
With the next Dynatrace AppMon release, support for the following platforms will be discontinued:
- The following features will not be available in the .NET OneAgent:
- GC/memory metrics for .NET < 4
- .NET component sensor
- .NET Winforms sensor
- Apache Cassandra 1.2/2.0 (EoL by Apache)
- IBM WebSphere MQ 7.1 (EoL by IBM Apr 30, 2017)
- IBM WebSphere MQ 7.1 for z/OS (EoL by IBM Nov 06, 2017)
- IBM WebSphere Message Broker 8 (EoL by IBM Apr 30, 2017)
- IBM WebSphere Message Broker 8 for z/OS (EoL by IBM Apr 30, 2017)
- JBoss AS CE 6.x/7.x (EoL by JBoss)