If you want to install a version where major and minor version do not match (for instance 6.5 on top of 6.3), you cannot use the update mechanism. Refer to the Upgrade and Migration Guide.
The following requirements must be met to successfully install an update:
- Disable virus scanning software the AppMon Server and Client machines.
- The AppMon user account used for the install requires certain permissions. See Required permissions for more information.
- You must be able to restart all Servers and Collectors immediately after installing the update.
- A pending restart must not be not currently logged against the Server or any connected Collector. Check Warnings in the Start Center to determine if a pending restart is required.
- You have verified that the update is of a higher version than any previously installed update.
- If you have a private update installed, you must check with support that the update to install contains the fixes of your previously installed private updates. If the update you want to install overwrites the fixes of the active update, the warning message appears, listing the fixes you may lose.
- To successfully install an update on an Agent when performing a controlled update rollout, the Agent must be a supported bootstrap Agent. If an Agent does not meet either of these conditions, the new update does not install and the Agent remains at its current version.
When installing an update on a Server or Collector instance, only the instance updates. The update is not installed on any other Server or Collector instances. If installing an update on an AppMon Server or Collector that is not run as an instance, then any Server/ Collector instances that run on the same system do not update.
The following diagram shows the necessary steps for installing an update.
Install an update
Use the Update pane in Dynatrace server settings to manage updates and review update history. To do this, start the Client and click Tools > Manage Updates. The Dynatrace Server Settings dialog box appears and displays the Updates pane.
Download the update from the AppMon product download site. Extract the contents to a local folder on the Client machine.
In the Management tab of the Updates pane, click Add to start the Update Wizard.
Controlled update rollout
In a controlled update rollout, you choose specific Agents on which to install an update. This enables you to test the update on a subset of Agents before installing it on all of the remaining Agents. The process for choosing Agents includes defining criteria, such as the type of Agent or a specific Agent Group, that when met determines whether the update is installed. Agents that do not match the specified criteria do not have the update installed.
See Controlled install on the Update Wizard page to perform a controlled update rollout using the Update wizard.
Controlled update rollout process overview
The following diagram shows the necessary steps for performing a controlled update rollout.
Post-installation considerations for a controlled update rollout
After successfully completing a controlled update rollout, deployed Agents can be at different versions. As a result, installing a newer update is not allowed until you perform a complete install and update Agents to the same update version. You can also roll back the installed update before installing a newer update to achieve the same Agent version consistency.
The diagram below shows the available options for installing update 22.214.171.124 to replace Update 126.96.36.199 that was installed using the controlled update rollout option.
See Configure controlled update rollouts on the Update Wizard page to configure controlled update rollouts.
See Troubleshooting product updates for information on resolving controlled rollout issues.