A product update contains defect fixes, performance improvements, or usability and feature enhancements. Installing an update includes uploading the update to a running AppMon Server and managing update installation. Installing an update is done using the Update Wizard, which you access in the Updates pane of the Dynatrace server settings. Use the Update Wizard to completely update all AppMon components or perform a controlled update rollout in which only selected Agents in specified Agent Groups or on specific hosts are updated.
An update version is determined by the build and revision number in its versioning scheme, which includes major, minor, and revision identifiers as well as the build number. See Update versions for more information.
Your AppMon user account must have the following permissions enabled to install, roll back, or remove an update: Manage Updates, Shutdown or Restart, and Shutdown or Restart Collector. See User Permissions and Authentication for more information.
A push notification issues a download link in the Client when updates are available, and describes major update details.
- Updates are available to all customers on the AppMon product download site. Updates are cumulative, which means they contain the fixes of updates released earlier. For example, AppMon update 7.0.2 contains all changes from 7.0.1.
- Private updates address customer and installation-specific issues. They are not cumulative, which means that they may not contain the fixes of updates released earlier, so they should only be applied in consultation with support.
The primary update management tasks are:
- Install: The update installation process requires using the Update Wizard, which is accessed from the Client UI, to upload the update file to the Server and guide you through the remaining configuration and deployment steps of the installation process. Additional installation options include using the AppMon REST API and selectively installing an update on specified Agents.
- Rollback: Use the update rollback feature to revert to a previously installed update or restore the originally installed version of AppMon.
- Remove: Use the update remove feature to delete an inactive update from the Server machine on which it was originally uploaded.