The AppMon Server (backend process / Windows service / *NIX daemon) is only supported on operating systems that support Java 8. Only the included Java Runtime Edition is supported.
- Windows x64: 10/8.1/8/7/Vista or Server 2008/2012/2016 with latest service pack; installer (.msi) does not need a pre-installed JRE; package contains a private Java Runtime Edition v8.
- Linux x64: With a recent kernel version 2.6 or higher.
Installation requires a pre-installed Java Runtime Edition v8.
- LDAP: For AppMon user authentication.
- Active Directory
See the Deployment Guide for detailed hardware recommendations specific to your load.
|Deployment size1||Physical cores required2||Recommended physical memory3||Also available memory options||Recommended disk space||Available as SaaS|
5 agents | 150 transactions/sec
|2||2GB||4GB, 8GB||1.5GB + 100GB Session storage/week||No|
10 agents | 300 transactions/sec
|4||4GB||8GB, 16GB||3GB + 200GB Session storage/week||Yes|
250 agents | 1,500 transactions/sec
|8||8GB||16GB, 32GB||5GB + 1TB Session storage/week|
750 agents | 3,500 transactions/sec
|16||16GB||32GB, 64GB||10GB + 2TB Session storage/week||Yes|
1,600 agents | 5,000 transactions/sec
|24||32GB||-||20GB + >2TB Session storage/week||No|
1,800 agents | 5,800 transactions/sec
|24||64GB||-||20GB + >2TB Session storage/week||No|
2,000 agents | 6,500 transactions/sec
|24||96GB||-||20GB + >2TB Session storage/week||No|
1 The maximum agent numbers consider a typical combination of different agents types such as Java, .NET, host, WebServer, and PHP.
In special circumstances, significantly more agents are supported. These are usually host agents. Contact support for guidance and confirmation.
2 No virtual cores (Hyper-Threading), for Medium and higher, a clock speed of 2.6 GHz or higher is required.
3 Required memory for the AppMon Server and operating system. If there are other processes running, then additional heap is required.
To improve performance, AppMon always uses the maximum available CPU and memory resources.
If you have more CPU cores or memory than required for the selected size, then AppMon uses them as well.
All previously listed deployment sizes may be deployed on a virtual machine. However, you must consider the following:
- No over-commitment of resources (CPU, memory, network, disk) and no virtual-only resources that are not backed by dedicated physical resources.
- Large and XLarge only. VM is equivalent to a physical box in all performance metrics. For more details see Guidelines for running AppMon in VMWare.
- XLarge only. Database partitioning is mandatory.
Why are so many cores required?
AppMon performs a large amount of complex background computations. Therefore, horsepower in terms of CPU cores is mandatory to guarantee the throughput.
The following list shows the important parts of the product which requires cores:
- Correlation engine
- Real time analysis
- Communication such as Clients and Collectors
- Performance Warehouse
- Session storage
- Analysis cache
- Data exports, for example Synthetic and PureLytics
- Web servers
- Job center for tasks and monitors
- Incident center
- Garbage collection
- Self monitoring and checks
- Operating system
Intel vs. AMD
The CPU is an integral part of your computer. You need a quality CPU to get the desired results. Results from testing shows that AMD are not able to keep up with Intel CPUs. That's why ‐ for now, at least ‐ Intel's chips bring objectively better performance and is our suggested CPU vendor.
Heap breakdown for frontend and backend process
|Deployment Size||Frontend heap GB||Backend heap GB||Total heap|