The Keep Alive Set dashlet is the set of instances that are held by an object instance. If the corresponding instance is garbage-collected, all instances held by this object can also be garbage-collected.
The Keep Alive Set calculation is based on instances. Therefore, it is only available for Leak Analysis snapshots.
To access the dialog box, right-click the required class/instance in the Total Memory Content dashlet, and select Show Keep Alive Set from the context menu.
The individual columns show the following information:
- Class/Instance: Instances kept alive are grouped by their class. Expand the corresponding class to view the individual Instances kept alive. For both classes and Instances, all Memory Snapshot analysis drill-downs are available.
- Instance Count: Number of Instances of the corresponding class.
- GC Size: Garbage Collection Size of the instances kept alive. For the class, this is the GC size of all instances kept alive, whereas shared children are considered. Because instances may have shared children, the GC size shown for classes may not be simply the sum of the GC size of all instances.
- Shallow Size: Shallow size of the instances kept alive. For classes, this is the sum of the shallow size of the instances.
- Additional Information: Information related to the corresponding records. For example, string values for string instances and size values for collections.
Click Show Instances on the context menu to further analyze a set of instances in a new Total Memory Content dashlet.