With automated reporting, you can present accumulated data to stakeholders or deliver the daily KPI status update to your inbox. Reporting is mandatory, and you don't want to spend too much time to gather the data, format the report, and process it. If you run a report twice, you should automate it with AppMon's reporting features.
Goal of this tutorial
This tutorial demonstrates the AppMon reporting features and how they make reporting easier. Learn how to schedule your reports.
Create your own dashboards or use those that come with AppMon. If you don't have a System Profile, and have no data from Agents, use the built-in dashboards for self-monitoring.
- Auto reporting only possible for dashboard reports. Dashlet reports are not supported.
- The dashboard must be saved on the server.
Install and run the following components:
- easyTravel demo application.
- AppMon with a default easyTravel System Profile.
Follow these steps to automate reporting:
Open the dashboard, where you want to set up auto reporting.
Right-click the dashboard tab, and select Report from the context menu.
Configure the report.
In this tutorial we use:
- Excel file type
- Portrait orientation
- A4 paper size
- Excel 2007 format
You don't need to specify output location, as the scheduled reports are always performed on the server side. You'll configure location in one of the next steps.
You can specify any other format you want. See Client reporting for more information.
Now configure automated reporting.
In the Report Creation dialog box, click Create Schedule. The Scheduled Report for Dashboard dialog box displays.
At the Task tab, configure the report task.
- In the Name field, specify the name of the task.
- In the Report Post-Processing pane, select the report output: Email, File, or both. To send emails, the Email Service should be configured.
- If you selected Email, configure the parameters:
- The From field is automatically populated with the current user. Change it if needed.
- If needed, change the Subject
- Add at least one recipient. You can specify an email address, a user, or a user group here.
- If you selected File, configure the parameters:
Specify the Directory for the output file.
The report is executed on the server machine. The local directory will be directory on the server machine.
To save the file on your computer, you nee to specify shared network location.
If the AppMon Server is not available on the network with the internal host name, but with some other host name or only when the link-address contains the domain name, you can still generated working links in the reports. Use the External hostname field to specify the fully qualified host name or IP address that AppMon uses to create links in reports, emails, and the server web interface. To access this, click Settings > Dynatrace Servers > Services > Management.
In this tutorial we use locally installed server, so the local directory is specified.
If needed, specify the user credentials, to grant the writing permission for storing file. The fields become available automatically, if you specify network directory.
At the Schedule tab, configure the report schedule.
In this tutorial we're going create a new schedule, running on noon daily, except for weekends, effecting from a particular day (December 1st, 2017 on screenshots).
- Click Add schedule.
- Set the name as Business Days.
- If the Scheduled Runs pane contains any pre-configured records, remove them.
- In the Scheduled Runs pane, click Add.
- In the Start calendar, select the required date, and 12:00:00 time.
- In the End calendar, select Forever.
- In the Recurrence pane, specify every 1 day.
- Now we need to exclude weekends. In the Scheduled Exclusions pane, click Add.
- Select Exclude always radiobutton.
- Select checkboxes for Saturday, Sunday, and all months.
The schedule is now configured.
- Save all your changes.
At the Report Settings tab, check the report configuration.
Save all changes. You can find the newly created automatic report in the Tasks item of the System Profile Preferences dialog box.