Since the z/OS Agent consists of multiple components in both the distributed and mainframe environments, the installation and configuration process is more complex than for other Agents. However, with a bit of planning and coordination with the varied architecture groups, your z/OS Agent installation can go smoothly.
Before you install the z/OS Agent
Efficiently z/OS Agent installation is typically a team effort involving the following:
- Distributed Systems Installer ‐ Installs the AppMon Server and the zRemote Agent.
- Mainframe Systems Programmer ‐ Installs the zLocal Agent and the SMP/E installation of the product.
- Mainframe CICS Systems Programmer ‐ Installs the CICS Agent and tables in each of the CICS regions to be monitored.
- Mainframe IMS Systems Programmer ‐ Injects the IMS Agent into each IMS control region to be monitored.
- Mainframe Security Administrator ‐ Sets up security for the zDC.
Depending on your team, a single individual may be able to administer more than just one of the required areas/regions of the mainframe.
z/OS Agent installation summary
- A distributed systems installer edits the AppMon System Profile(s) to add the mainframe tier(s).
- The distributed systems installer installs the zRemote Agent.
- On the target mainframe, the mainframe systems programmer downloads and installs the z/OS components.
- Your mainframe security administrator configures security for the zDC.
- If monitoring one or more CICS regions, your mainframe CICS systems programmer installs the CICS Agent.
- If monitoring one or more IMS control regions, your mainframe IMS systems programmer installs the IMS Agent.
z/OS Agent maintenance
On the target mainframe, the mainframe systems programmer can download and install z/OS SMP/E maintenance