The Applications item of the System Profile Preferences dialog box allows you to manage logical applications within a single System Profile.
For example, if you host your public website, customer portal and blog on the same server and thus have them in one System Profile, you may still want to monitor and manage performance of these individually by manually grouping them by sub-domain.
How to define boundaries for logical applications
Auto-detected vs. user-defined logical apps
You have the option to do one of the following:
- Let AppMon automatically detect applications by selecting the Detect applications automatically check box and identifying applications based on host and / or web application ID.
- For Java and Web Server Agents, you can manually define logical applications based on URI sub-domain patterns like
community.dynatrace.com, ports used, or mobile app name. You can also define logical applications by using PurePath properties like entry point or messaging.
You can find configured patterns in the easyTravel System Profile, and copy settings from auto-detected applications.
Auto-detection mapping is done on the Server, but mappings created manually by defining logical applications is done on the Agent. The manual mapping is only implemented for Java and Web Server Agents. Manually defining logical applications for PHP only works if there is an instrumented Web Server tier before the PHP tier.
Manually defined logical applications
Logical applications are defined by patterns, described below.
Entry Point pattern
The fully qualified method name of the entry point is compared with the Entry Points patterns. The topmost matching pattern applies. This method has priority over Messaging and Web/Mobile patterns.
Only the PurePath entry point is used, no arbitrary nodes or sub-paths.
The queue manager name or destination name field detected by a Messaging Sensor is compared to the Messaging patters. The topmost matching pattern applies. This method has priority over Web/Mobile patterns.
The web request URL or AppId, detected by a Web Request Sensor, is compared to the Web/Mobile patterns. The topmost matching pattern applies.
In instrumented apps, the full URL of the web request is split into Host and URL fields. For example, the
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/ web request is split to
www.dynatrace.com host and
Rule evaluation order
The evaluation order of the different mechanisms is:
- Entry point: only analyzed on the PurePath entry point; has priority over everything else.
- Messaging: analyzed on the whole PurePath, topmost node wins; has priority over Web Request.
- Web request: analyzed on whole PurePath, topmost node wins.
If multiple applications match with the same technology priority due to overlapping patterns, the topmost application as ordered in System Profile / Applications / User-defined Applications is used.
See Logical Application for more information on applications, configuration, and more use case scenarios.
To create a pattern for logical application:
- In the AppMon Client, open the System Profile Preferences dialog box and select Applications.
- Click Create.
- In the Name edit box, type the name for your pattern.
- Select the pattern type, the entity for comparison, and the comparison rule from the appropriate lists.
- Specify the pattern rule.
- Click + to add the rule to the pattern.
- If needed, add more rules.
- Click Create.
- By default the newly created pattern has the lowest priority. Specify the priority of the pattern by using the Higher Priority and Lower Priority buttons.
Using logical applications
Set data capturing mode per application
With (logical) applications defined you can adapt for each one what data are being captured. The screenshots below show three applications defined.
- Two are user-defined logical ones discriminated by URI.
- One is the easyTravel mobile app.
In the User Experience item:
- For the administration portal, the setting is to capture all data, including server-side and client-side data.
- For the easyTravel portal, only web and application-server-side data are captured.
- For the default application no data are set to be captured. Because there is no extra setting for easyTravel mobile, the default (no capturing) applies. To create an extra tab for different settings for easyTravel mobile, click the plus icon.
Applications detected by web application ID cannot be used for application-specific settings, because this detection mechanism is not implemented on Agents, but only on the AppMon Server side.
Measures by application
You can use the defined logical applications to split measures and restrict calculation to selected apps. To do this:
- Open the System Profile Preferences dialog box and select the Measures item.
- Select the required measure and click Edit, or click Create Measure to create a new one.
- Click the Details tab.
- To split measures, in the Measure Splitting field, select the Create a measure for each application check box.
- To restrict calculations, in the Restrict Measure Calculation field, select the calculate only for selected applications radio button, and select the required applications.
Filter dashboard content by application
You can filter content of any dashboard by your logic application. Do to this, click the Filter by Application icon, and select the required applications.