OpenTracing and OpenCensus have merged to form OpenTelemetry!
What is OpenTelemetry?
OpenTelemetry is an open-source CNCF (Cloud Native Computing Foundation) project formed from the merger of the OpenCensus and OpenTracing projects. It provides a collection of tools, APIs, and SDKs for capturing metrics, distributed traces and logs from applications. OpenTelemetry is expected to become the industry standard for:
- pre-instrumenting libraries and frameworks to add out-of-the-box and vendor-neutral observability
- enriching local monitoring data with custom instrumentation
While OpenTelemetry does not provide backend or analytics capabilities, it provides several integration points for observability platforms to ingest the collected data.
OpenCensus as de facto standard
OpenCensus is a library API interface that offers documentation for distributed tracing systems. Dynatrace is working on a seamless integration, while providing out-of-the-box tracing for the most important languages right now.
- No code changes
- Enterprise scale
- Seamless processing of data
- Powered by AI
Go beyond distributed tracing with Dynatrace
The Dynatrace platform will automatically integrate OpenCensus data, thereby providing the highest possible scalability, enterprise manageability, seamless processing of data, and the best analytics through Davis® (our AI-driven analytics engine), and automation support. With OpenCensus data becoming a first class data source in Dynatrace, companies can leverage their existing investments in custom tracing while gaining all the benefits of the Dynatrace platform. This means that Dynatrace customers will receive:
- Automatic OneAgent monitoring with auto-discovery of processes exposing OpenCensus data including native apps.
- Instrumentation exposed by frameworks using OpenCensus will be automatically added to Dynatrace PurePath data
- OpenCensus data will be natively supported and used by the Dynatrace AI engine, Smartscape, Service flow, and more.
Just a few of our enterprise customers